Leadership Support Section (LSS)
As a service provider on leadership, the Leadership Support Section (LSS) (formerly the Senior Leadership Appointments Section, SLAS), within the Departments of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs, and Peace Operations, is committed to a “life-cycle” approach to leadership, focusing on and linking the different stages of the cycle including: identification, selection and onboarding of leaders as well as support throughout a senior leader’s field assignment.
The core functions of the Leadership Support Section are as follows:
- Identifying and monitoring leadership requirements in the field to improve senior-level vacancy management and succession planning, with special attention to improving gender representation and geographical diversity;
- Establishing outreach strategies and expanding partnerships to source talent and meet senior-level leadership requirements in peace operations;
- Maintaining a centralized database of qualified individuals who are potentially suitable for consideration at the level of Under-Secretary-General (USG) and Assistant Secretary-General (ASG);
- Supporting high-level decision making on senior appointments and the recruitment of candidates to fill civilian core leadership posts in field operations, including the development of post profiles, terms of reference and candidate short-lists, development of additional assessment tools, reference checking and the formulation of recommendations;
- Coordinating administrative in-briefings that provide newly appointed senior leaders with information related to their benefits and entitlements and support in-briefings and onboarding processes;
- Providing leadership support, including through the administration of leadership partnering (mentoring) and coaching initiatives and leadership retreats, for newly appointed senior leaders;
- Supporting, as needed and requested, performance management and appraisal process of senior leaders;
- Providing policy advice on issues related to strengthening the quality of leadership in the field.
First women's retreat for all female Heads and deputy Heads of Mission organized by LSS (2018).
By UN Photo