UNFF Facilitative Process
The UNFF Facilitative Process was launched in 2009 to assist Member States in mobilizing financing for sustainable forest management. Its functions were as follows (resolution E/CN.18/SS/2009/L.1):
- To assist in mobilizing and supporting new and additional financial resources from all sources for sustainable forest management (SFM);
- To assist countries in mobilizing, accessing and enhancing the effective use of existing financial resources from all sources for SFM;
- To identify, facilitate and simplify access to all sources of finance for SFM;
- To identify obstacles to, gaps in and opportunities for financing SFM;
- To assist countries in developing national financing strategies;
- To facilitate the transfer of environmentally sound technologies and capacity-building to developing countries;
- To provide advice, upon request, and to share examples of good practice in improving the enabling environment for sustainable forest management; and
- To enhance coordination, cooperation and coherence among relevant funding sources and mechanisms to improve the implementation of the non-legally binding instrument on all types of forests.
The resolution also called to take into account the special needs and circumstances of Africa, the least developed countries, low-forest-cover countries, high-forest cover countries, medium-forest-cover countries, high-forest-cover low-deforestation countries and small island developing States.
The Facilitative Process implemented 3 projects:
- Identifying gaps, obstacles and opportunities to financing sustainable forest management in small island developing states and low forest cover countries (2009-2013), funded by the Global Environment Facility and the government of the United Kingdom;
- Identifying gaps, obstacles and opportunities to financing sustainable forest management in Africa and least developed countries (2011-2013), funded by the government of Germany; and
- Harnessing climate financing for sustainable forest management in Southern Africa, Central Asia and the Pacific (2013-2015), funded by the 8th tranche of the UN Development Account.
In 2015 the Facilitative Process was strengthened, upgraded and renamed the Global Forest Financing Facilitation Network (GFFFN).
|Workshop name||Workshop concept note||Workshop organization of work||Workshop report|
|Southeast Asia 2015||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|Central Asia 2014||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|United States 2014||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|Pacific 2014||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|Ethiopia 2013||Concept note||Organization of work||Report EN | FR|
|Kenya 2013||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|Fiji 2012||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|Senegal 2012||Concept note||Organization of work||Report EN | FR|
|Trinidad and Tobago 2012||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|Niger 2012||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|
|Iran 2011||Concept note||Organization of work||Report|