This special event alongside the 2019 HLPF marked the launch of a new project to strengthen the work of the UN Tax Committee and related capacity development activities by UNDESA, supported by Norwegian funding.
The event was hosted by the Minister of International Development of Norway and UNDESA’s Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, joined by special guest the Permanent Representative of Ghana to the United Nations.
Panel discussion among experts from the UN Tax Committee, OECD, civil society and private sector focused on how the UN can strengthen its role to help developing countries navigate a complex and evolving international tax landscape and how UN Member States can support this agenda.
With its universal membership and commitment to leave no-one behind, the United Nations provides a unique venue for international efforts on tax cooperation in support of the SDGs. The UN Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters, its Subcommittees and related capacity development efforts shape norms that address cross-border issues and promote policies that strengthen tax systems in developing and developed countries. With its holistic approach, the Committee aims to ensure that the effectiveness of domestic tax policies is not jeopardized by shortcomings in the international tax architecture
- E. Mr. Dag-Inge Ulstein, Minister of International Development, Norway
- E. Ms. Martha Ama Akyaa Pobee, Permanent Representative of Ghana to the United Nations
- Liu Zhenmin, Under-Secretary-General, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations
- Stig Sollund, Co-coordinator of Subcommittee on Transfer Pricing, UN Tax Committee
- Pascal Saint-Amans, Director of the Center for Tax Policy and Administration, OECD
- Jolanda Schenk, Global Business Tax Director Exploration/New Energies/New Business Development at Shell
- Pooja Rangaprasad, Director, Policy and Advocacy, FfD, Society for International Development – Civil Society FfD Group
- Navid Hanif, Director, Financing for Sustainable Development Office, UNDESA