The General Assembly, in its resolution 64/193 of 21 December 2009, recognized the potential of various voluntary innovative sources of financing to supplement traditional sources of financing, stressed that those funds should be disbursed in accordance with the priorities of developing countries and should not burden them unduly, and encouraged the Secretary-General to organize an informal event in 2010, within existing resources, on the potential of voluntary innovative sources of development finance (para.13).
Accordingly, the informal event on innovative sources of development finance was convened on 3 June 2010 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York (ECOSOC Chamber – NLB) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 3 to 6 p.m. The Deputy Secretary-General opened the meeting and delivered an opening address. Mr. Philippe Douste-Blazy, Special Adviser to the Secretary-General on Innovative Financing for Development, made opening remarks and chaired two consecutive panel discussions, as follows:
- Panel discussion 1: “Mechanisms of innovative development financing in operation”;
- Panel discussion 2: “Innovative development financing initiatives under development”.
The meeting resulted in a Chairman’s summary as an input to the preparatory process of the High-level Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly on the Millenium Development Goals (New York, 20-22 September 2010).
- Background Information on organizational matters
- Invitation by Mr.Douste-Blazy
- Chairman’s summary
- Tentative programme (with links to presentations)
- Biographical notes of panelists
- Concept Note
- UN Journal announcement
- Background Information on substantive matters
- GA resolution 64/193 on “Follow-up to and implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and the outcome of the 2008 Review Conference (Doha Declaration on Financing for Development)” (A/RES/64/193)
- Innovative Financing for Development: the I-8 Group, Leading Innovative Financing for Equity [L.I.F.E.]
- Report of the Secretary-General “Progress report on innovative sources of development finance” (A/64/189)