UNCDF, Financing for Development Office, in collaboration with FMDV
The Addis Ababa Action Agenda (AAAA), adopted at the Third International Conference on Financing for Development in July 2015, recognizes that “expenditures and investments in sustainable development are being devolved to the sub-national level, which often lack adequate technical and technological capacity, financing and support” (para 34) and calls for greater “international cooperation to strengthen capacities of municipalities and other local authorities” (Ibid). The commitment in the AAAA to strengthen subnational finance is particularly relevant in the context of Goal 11 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development which sets out to “make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe resilient and sustainable”.
This side event will link the AAAA and the Financing for Development process with the HABITAT III process and its goal to reinvigorate the global commitment to sustainable urbanization.
– Ms. Khady Dia Sarr, Program Director, Dakar Municipal Finance Program, Senegal
– Mr. Paul Smoke, Professor of Public Finance and Planning, New York University
– Mr. Carlos de Freitas, Director of Programs, FMDV – Global Fund for Cities Development
– Mr. Vito Intini, Municipal Investment Finance Programme Manager, UNCDF
– Mr. Daniel Platz, Economic Affairs Officer, Financing for Development Office, UN-DESA
Tim Hilger, email@example.com