- Survivor Tells How Rebel Group Stole His Youth before Security Council Unanimously Adopts Resolution 2143 (2014) Condemning Child Recruitment in Armed Conflict (7 March 2014)
“My childhood was robbed by the Revolutionary United Front for two years,” former child soldier Alhaji Babas Sawaneh — abducted and conscripted in Sierra Leone at the age of 10 years — told the Security Council today just before it unanimously adopted a resolution strongly condemning all violations of international law applicable to the recruitment and use of children by parties to armed conflict.
- Warning Security Council of ‘Extremely Grave’ Situation in Central African Republic, Top Officials Urge Speedy Authorization of United Nations Operation (6 March 2014)
Despite significant and progressive gains made by African Union and French troops in the Central African Republic, the situation in the strife-torn country remained extremely grave, senior officials told the Security Council today, urging immediate action to prevent further bloodshed.
- Security Council, Adopting Resolution 2142 (2014), Partially Lifts Weapons Ban on Somalia, Agreeing to End or Suspend It on Basis of Full Compliance (5 March 2014)
The Security Council today authorized a partial lifting of its arms embargo on Somalia until 25 October.
- Security Council Press Statement on Terrorist Attack in Kunming, China (2 March 2014)
The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Sylvie Lucas (Luxembourg):
- Statement by Chair of Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict (27 February 2014)
At its forty-third meeting, on 15 February 2014, the Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict agreed, in connection with the examination of the third report of the Secretary-General on children and armed conflict in the Philippines (document S/2013/419), to address the following message to all parties to the armed conflict in the Philippines mentioned in the report of the Secretary-General through a public statement by its Chair:
- Security Council Press Statement on Terrorist Attack in Somalia (27 February 2014)
The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Raimonda Murmokaitė ( Lithuania):
Press Conference by Security Council President on Work Programme for March (4 March 2014)
The situation in the Central African Republic, issues of children and armed conflict, and events in Afghanistan would be among the Security Council’s top priorities in March, the Permanent Representative of Luxembourg said today at a Headquarters press conference.
Press Conference by Security Council President on Work Programme for February (5 February 2014)
Protection of civilians, rule of law, and the situation in Syria would be among the Security Council’s top priorities in February, the Permanent Representative of Lithuania said at a Headquarters press conference today.
Press Conference by Security Council President on Work Programme for January (6 January 2014)
The Central African Republic would figure prominently on the Security Council’s agenda in January, Zeid Ra’ad Zeid Al-Hussein (Jordan), that body’s President for January, said at a Headquarters press conference today.