- General Assembly Re-elects Achim Steiner for Additional Two-Year Term as Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme (7 March 2014)
The General Assembly re-elected Achim Steiner today as Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) for a two-year period beginning on 15 June 2014.
- Speakers in Fifth Committee Commend Organization’s Emergency Management, Saying Storm Sandy Underlined Importance of Fully Operational System (6 March 2014)
Good progress was being made on the creation of an emergency management system to better prepare the United Nations to withstand disruptive crises and natural disasters, Secretariat officials and delegates alike told the Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary) today as they scrutinized reports on the subject.
- Fifth Committee Opens Resumed Session with Discussion of Joint Inspection Unit’s Oversight Role (3 March 2014)
The Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary) opened the first part of its resumed sixty-eighth session today with a review of its 2014 work programme and organization of work, and of the role of the Joint Inspection Unit in light of its importance in the “United Nations oversight landscape”.
- United Nations Special Committee on Decolonization Undertakes Visiting Mission to New Caledonia, 9-18 March (6 March 2014)
The United Nations Special Committee on Decolonization will undertake an Official Visiting Mission to New Caledonia and Paris, France from 9 to 18 March.
- Statement by Bureau of Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, on the Situation in Jerusalem (5 March 2014)
The Bureau of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People issued the following statement today:
- Statement by Bureau of Committee on Exercise of Inalienable Rights of Palestinian People on Humanitarian Situation at Yarmouk Camp (20 January 2014)
The Bureau of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People issued the following statement today, 20 January:
Press Conference by General Assembly President (18 December 2013)
The President of the United Nations General Assembly, John Ashe (Antigua and Barbuda), held an end-of-year press conference today at Headquarters in which he discussed highlights from the past year and outlined expected activities for 2014 and beyond, including the long-standing issue of Security Council reform.
Press Conference by General Assembly President (3 October 2013)
At a Headquarters press conference today, Assembly President John Ashe (Antigua and Barbuda) welcomed civil society’s participation in determining the post-2015 development agenda as the “new norm”, and highlighted, among other changes, steps towards a new openness during the sixty-eighth General Assembly session.
Press Conference by President of Sixty-eighth General Assembly (17 September 2013)
Acknowledging attempts by many of his predecessors to move Security Council reform forward, the new President of the General Assembly said today that he would work for consensus on what that reform should look like.