Together, we must do everything we can to ensure that those who undertake lifesaving work around the world have the protection and conditions they need to fulfil their vital mission.UN Secretary-General António Guterres
Serving the cause of peace in a violent world is a dangerous occupation. Since the founding of the United Nations, more than 3,500 brave men and women have lost their lives in its service. Natural disasters also claim the lives of those serving the UN. Here we remember those often forgotten – the fallen.
- International Day of UN Peacekeepers
- World Humanitarian Day
- International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
- International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief
- International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances
- International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists
International days and weeks are occasions to educate the public on issues of concern, to mobilize political will and resources to address global problems, and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. The existence of international days predates the establishment of the United Nations, but the UN has embraced them as a powerful advocacy tool. We also mark other UN observances.