Whether in their home countries or abroad, United Nations staff members have an admirable commitment to service. Their safety must be our priority. On this International Day of Solidarity, I call on the Member States and the international community to strengthen resolve to give them the protection they need to continue their work for peace and prosperity for all.UN Secretary-General António Guterres
Serving the cause of peace in a violent world is a dangerous occupation. Since the founding of the United Nations, more than 3,500 brave men and women have lost their lives in its service. Natural disasters also claim the lives of those serving the UN. Here we remember those often forgotten – the fallen.
- International Day of UN Peacekeepers
- World Humanitarian Day
- International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
- International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief
- International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances
- International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists
International days are occasions to educate the public on issues of concern, to mobilize political will and resources to address global problems, and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. The existence of international days predates the establishment of the United Nations, but the UN has embraced them as a powerful advocacy tool. We also mark other UN observances.