Celebrating 2019 International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP), a special event organized by the United Nations Department of Global Communications, the Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the Office for Partnerships, and the Permanent Missions of Monaco and the State of Qatar to the United Nations will take place on 3 April 2019 at the UN Headquarters. Register here for free.
This 1.5-hour event will feature a series of DAVOS-style conversations showcasing sporting initiatives and partnerships that promote the Sustainable Development Goals. Participants in the conversations include international sporting organizations, such as ESPN, the National Baseball Association, and the International Paralympic Committee. Participants and audience members from the sporting industries will also be invited to make concrete commitments to support the SDGs.
The event in observance of the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace aims to broaden the awareness of the significant, tangible and positive contribution sport makes to the SDGs. It also intends to inspire influential individuals and sport-related institutions to commit to playing a part in advancing the SDGs.
Each panelist will have a maximum of 10 minutes to share a short video clip from a relevant project or campaign and discuss how this exemplifies sport’s impact on behaviour or attitudes towards the achievement of the SDGs.
The participants and audience members working in the sporting world (athletes, broadcasters, sponsors, sporting organizations, etc.) will be encouraged to make commitments to the SDGs, which could include a brief interview and photo-op with UN Social Media, the creation of a campaign highlighting the SDGs, using sporting figures to create an SDG PSA video, and joining the SDG Media compact for broadcasters.
1:15pm to 2:30pm (75-minutes) ECOSOC Chamber
- H.E. Isabelle Picco, Permanent Representative of Monaco to the United Nations
- H.E. Alya Ahmed Saif Al-Thani, Permanent Representative of Qatar to the United Nations
- Opening Remarks
- H.E. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General, United Nations
- Ms. Tabitha Lipkin, Sports Anchor, Fox 5 San Diego
- Private Sector: (15 mins, includes 1-min video for Ann Rosenberg)
- Athlete / Team: (10 mins, includes 1-min video intro)
- Mr. Masai Ujiri, President, Toronto Raptors
- United Nations / NGO: (15 mins, includes 1-min video intro for each)
- Ms. Agnès Marcaillou, Director, UN Mine Action Service
- Mr. Laurent Dupont, Managing Director, Peace and Sport
- International Sport Organizations (20 mins,includes 4x3-min video messages)
- Mr. Koji Murofushi (2-minute video message), Sports Director, The Tokyo Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- International Olympic Committee (3-minute Olympic Refuge Foundation video message)
- Mr. Juan Pablo Salazar, Board Member, International Paralympic Committee
- H.E. Mr. Hassan Al-Thawadi (video message) – Secretary General of the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy for the 2022 FIFA World Cup
- Q&A Session (5-15-mins depending on next meeting)