The 2021 edition of The UN Card brings an update to 11 actions of the UN that show in quantifiable terms how the daily work of the UN and its agencies affects the lives of people around the globe.
The United Nations:
- Combats pandemics: coordinates the COVID-19 vaccination effort globally
- Provides food and assistance to 97 million people in 88 countries
- Supplies vaccines to 50% of the world’s children, helps save 3 million lives a year
- Assists and protects 97.3 million people fleeing war, famine and persecution
- Works with 196 nations to keep the global temperature rise well below 2°C/3.6°F
- Keeps peace with 90,000 peacekeepers in 12 operations around the world
- Tackles the global water crisis affecting over 2.2 billion people worldwide
- Protects and promotes human rights globally and through 80 treaties/declarations
- Coordinates US$34 billion appeal for the humanitarian needs of 160 million people
- Uses diplomacy to prevent conflict: assists some 50 countries a year with their elections
- Supports over 30 million women a year with sexual and reproductive health services
The Department of Global Communications updates the card once a year, checking facts and figures with UN agencies, designing new graphics and adding new key achievements.
You can download a high resolution version of the cards in all six official languages for local printing (in pdf).