Established in 2009, the Department of Global Communication’s Civil Society Youth Representatives Programme serves as an advocacy platform to bring together young people ages 18 to 32 working within and/or leading organizations that are in association with DGC and focused on issues on the agenda of the United Nations.
Leveraging the high visibility and strong impact of young people at the 66th United Nations DPI/NGO Conference in Gyeongju, Republic of Korea (30 May to 1 June), DGC (formerly DPI) established the Civil Society Youth Representative Steering Committee (thereafter referred to as the “Steering Committee”) in August 2016 to channel that momentum towards the strengthening of the Department’s youth platform and programmes.
The Civil Society Youth Representatives Steering Committee
- features youth ages 18 – 32
- Includes up to 25 Youth Representatives from civil society organizations formally associated with DGC
- advises DGC on youth engagement for outreach and advocacy on global issues on the UN agenda
- Ali Mustafa, Co-Chair, International Association for Advancement of Innovative Approaches to Global Challenges
- Rosleny Ubinas, Co-Chair, National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'i of the US
- Ashley (Yee Siang) Yong, Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
- Joshua Alade, United Nations Association of Nigeria
- Valentina Mendez, Northeastern University
- Alexander Groce, Global Education Motivators
- Eleftherios Dafermos, The Smile of the Child
- Ourania (Rania) Papadopoulou, The Smile of the Child
- Nipuna Ambanpola, IVolunteer International Inc
- Saffin Mathew, 1M1B Foundation
- Michelle Leon, World Development Foundation
- Rinor Jani, Pathways to Peace
- Cairo Eubanks, New Future Foundation International
- Milka Rodriguez, South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation
- Elizabeth Sullivan, Fordham University
Olavarrieta Maturana, Fundacion Cultural Baur
- Estefania Malassisi, Asociación para el Cuidado de la Diabetes en Argentina - CUI.D.AR
- Priyadharshany (Priya) Sandanapitchai, The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI)
- Thomas Alvarez, CGFNS International, Inc.
- Wantoe Teah Wantoe, Sisters of Charity Federation
- Anna Peverly, Public Private Alliance Foundation
- Gayathri Menon, World Yoga Community Inc
- Marlenis Rosa, Pathways to Peace
Parker LaCourse, UNA-USA
Members of the DGC Civil Society Youth Representatives Steering Committee can be contacted for speaking engageements via email address undgccso(at)un.org with an indication of the name of the addressee.