ECOSOC Informal Briefing (Monday, 11 May at 10 a.m. EDT) – Watch Video
At this time of great uncertainty and global disruption, it is clear we need a coordinated international effort in the spirit of multilateralism." ECOSOC President, H.E. Ambassador Mona Juul.
The President of the Economic and Social Council, H.E. Ambassador Mona Juul, convened an informal ECOSOC Briefing on “Joining Forces: Effective Policy Solutions for Covid-19 Response” on 11 May 2020 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on a virtual platform.
The briefing brought together the leadership and expertise of the wider UN system, including the normative and analytical work of the UN specialized agencies, to discuss policy solutions that countries can use to combat the pandemic, preserve advances made and get back on track towards the SDGs.
This briefing had as a framework the recommendations contained in the report of the Secretary-General. The format was a roundtable with short interventions of heads of UN entities. It was organized with virtual participation of Member States and other stakeholders.
- H.E. Ms. Mona Juul, President of ECOSOC
- H.E. Ms. Amina Mohammed, Deputy Secretary General, United Nations
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of World Health Organization (WHO)
- Mr. Liu Zhenmin, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- UN COVID-19 portal
- COVID-19 Information from the UN system
- UN-DESA portal on COVID-19
- Media Advisory
- COVID-19 Coverage from UN News
- UN News
- WHO "ECOSOC Informal Briefing on 'Joining Forces: Effective Policy Solutions for Covid-19 Response'
- FAO "Access to food for all and greater agricultural innovation are key as countries respond to COVID-19 pandemic and plan to rebuild"
- UN News: ‘Urgency to act’ for sustainable development, greater than ever as coronavirus pandemic continues
- Latest COVID-19 related reports and briefs from the UN Secretary General
- Policy Brief: COVID-19 and the need for action on mental health (13 May 2020)
- Policy Brief: A Disability-Inclusive Response to COVID-19 (May 2020) [MS Word document; EPUB file; Watch Executive Summary (International Sign Language)]
- Policy Brief: The Impact of COVID-19 on older persons (May 2020)
- A UN framework for the immediate socio-economic response to COVID-19 (April 2020)
- COVID-19 and Human Rights: We are all in this together (April 2020)
- Debt and COVID-19: A Global Response in Solidarity (17 April 2020)
- Policy Brief: The Impact of COVID-19 on Children (15 April 2020)
- Policy Brief: The Impact of COVID-19 on Women (9 April 2020)
- The Secretary-General’s UN Response and Recovery Fund (April 2020)
- Shared Responsibility, Global Solidarity: Responding to the socio-economic impacts of COVID-19 (March 2020)
- DESA Policy Briefs
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #75: COVID-19: Reaffirming State-People Governance Relationships (15 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #74: Resilient institutions in times of crisis: transparency, accountability and participation at the national level key to effective response to COVID-19 (15 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #73: The impact of COVID-19 on sport, physical activity and well-being and its effects on social development (14 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #72: COVID-19 and sovereign debt (14 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #71: COVID-19 pandemic deals a huge blow to the manufacturing exports from LDCs (14 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #70: The Impact of COVID-19 on Indigenous Peoples (8 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #69: Leaving no one behind: the COVID-19 crisis through the disability and gender lens (6 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #68: COVID-19 and Older Persons: A Defining Moment for an Informed, Inclusive and Targeted Response (6 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #67: Protecting and mobilizing youth in COVID-19 responses (5 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #66: COVID-19 and the least developed countries (1 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #65: Responses to the COVID-19 catastrophe could turn the tide on inequality (1 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #64: The COVID-19 pandemic puts Small Island Developing economies in dire straits (1 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #63: The COVID-19 pandemic: A speedy and balanced recovery of Europe will remain critical for the world to return to the trajectory of sustainable development (1 May 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #62: The COVID-19 pandemic: a wake-up call for better cooperation at the science–policy–society interface (22 April 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #61: COVID-19: Embracing digital government during the pandemic and beyond (14 April 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #60: Commodity exporters face mounting economic challenges as pandemic spreads (14 April 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #59: Corona crisis causes turmoil in financial markets (1 April 2020)
- UN/DESA Policy Brief #58: COVID-19: Addressing the social crisis through fiscal stimulus plans (1 April 2020)
- COVID-19: Regional Analysis and Policy Responses