Following the independence of South Sudan on 9 July 2011, the Economic and Social Council, through its resolution 2011/43, expressed interest in working with partners in addressing the extensive humanitarian, peacebuilding and development challenges facing the country. Since then, the Council has considered South Sudan under its agenda item “African Countries Emerging from Conflict” to promote a coherent and coordinated support to the country by the United Nations system. During the last two years, some of the UN organizations working in South Sudan contributed to the discussion on how the political and security crisis in the country has been affecting the development prospects and reversing the gains made since independence.
In June 2011, the Economic and Social Council and the Peacebuilding Commission convened a joint meeting on "Promoting Durable Peace and Sustainable Development in Sudan and South Sudan". The meeting drew international attention to the development and state-building priorities of the new country of South Sudan and to promote coordinated, coherent and integrated support by the United Nations system and other stakeholders in line with its needs and highlighted the importance of regional cooperation and strengthened bilateral relations between Sudan and South Sudan for sustainable development and peace consolidation.
The Council continues to hold annual deliberations on South Sudan based on the report of the Secretary-General. The last report on the Implementation of integrated, coherent and coordinated support to South Sudan and the Sahel region by the United Nations (E/2020/65), included a section on the Sahel region. The report provided an outline of the major developments in South Sudan since the signing of the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan on 12 September 2018.
Report on the Implementation of integrated, coherent and coordinated support to South Sudan by the United Nations
- African countries emerging from conflict (Decision E/2018/249)
- African countries emerging from conflict (Decision 2017/262)
- African countries emerging from conflict (Decision 2016/263)
- African countries emerging from conflict (Decision 2015/231)
- African countries emerging from conflict (Decision 2014/256)
- African countries emerging from conflict (Decision 2013/231)
- African countries emerging from conflict (Decision 2012/250)
- Support to the Republic of South Sudan (Decision 2011/43)
- UN News Centre
- ECOSOC Meetings Coverage (July 2018, July 2017, July 2016, July 2015, November 2014, 2013, July 2012, 2011)