The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Youth Forum, to be held on 30-31 January 2018, will provide a platform for youth to engage in a dialogue with Member States and to discuss the policy frameworks and promote innovative, institutionalised approaches and initiatives for advancing the youth development agenda at national, regional and global levels with a view to promoting solutions to the global challenge of strengthening resilience and sustainable development.
The Forum will bring youth leaders from around the world to the United Nations Headquarters in New York. It will give them the opportunity to engage with government representatives, youth delegates, policymakers and other relevant stakeholders in civil society and the private sector.
This two-day event will feature plenary sessions, interactive thematic and regionally-based discussions and region perspectives, and provide an opportunity for a rich exchange of views and ideas on innovative solutions to issues of relevance to young people and the implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, structured around the sustainable development goal under review in the the Economic and Social Council and the High-level Political Forum in 2017.
- General concept note of the ECOSOC Youth Forum
- Interactive Roundtable on “The role of youth in building sustainable and resilient urban and rural communities”, featuring Ministers, other High-Level speakers, and youth organization representatives
Thematic Breakout Sessions, 30 January 2018 (2.30 to 4.20 p.m.)
- SDG 6: Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- SDG 11: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 15: Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss, and the related processes
- SDG 17: The use of science, technology and innovations in facilitating youth engagement, development and resilience
Regional Breakout Sessions, 31 January 2018 (9 to 11 a.m.)
- Europe, North America and other States
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Asia and the Pacific
- Arab States region
Interactive Roundtable on Means of Implementation (finance, technology, capacity building, trade, and systemic issues), 31 January 2018 (3 to 5.30 p.m.