The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Special Meeting on 21 April 2022 provided a platform for Member States to review select aspects of the New Urban Agenda based on the findings of the 2022 Quadrennial Report of the Secretary-General on the Implementation of the New Urban Agenda. Emphasis was placed on inequality and UN coordination -- themes ECOSOC is advancing throughout its current session.
Cities have been at the forefront of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has deepened existing inequalities, create new vulnerabilities, and reversed progress towards the attainment of many of the Sustainable Development Goals. Cities are also central actors in responding to the pandemic. They can provide opportunities for a just and sustainable recovery.
The outcome of this ECOSOC Special Meeting is a summary by the ECOSOC President that will feed into to the high-level meeting of the General Assembly on the Implementation the New Urban Agenda, on 28 April 2022.
The Special Meeting gave Member States the opportunity to engage with representatives of grassroots organizations, professional associations, city networks, as well as the United Nations.
Two roundtable discussions focused on the following themes; one – the usefulness of the New Urban Agenda to address rising inequality, and two- the current state of UN system support to Member States in implementing the New Urban Agenda. The roundtables offered the occasion to take stock of recent success and challenges in the implementation of the New Urban Agenda and identify strategies on how to accelerate transformative processes to achieve the SDGs by 2030.
- Statement of H.E. Mr. Collen Vixen Kelapile, President of the Economic and Social Council, delivered at the High-level Meeting of the General Assembly to assess progress on the implementation of the New Urban Agenda (28 April 2022)
- H.E. Mr. Collen Vixen Kelapile, President of the Economic and Social Council
- H.E. Mr. Abdulla Shahid, President of the 76th Session of the UN General Assembly
- Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General, United Nations
- Ms. Martha Delgado, President of the UN Habitat Assembly [English, Spanish]
Setting the stage
- Mr. Charles Hinga Mwaura, Principal Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, Government of the Republic of Kenya
- Ms. Ines Sanchez de Madariaga, Professor of Urban Planning, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid and Director of the UNESCO Chair on Gender
- Dr. Luis Nava Guerrero, Mayor of Queretaro, Mexico
- Ms. Leilani Farha, Global Director, THE SHIFT, and former UN Rapporteur on the Right to Adequate Housing, Canada
- Ms. Smurti Jukur, SPARC – Society for the Promotion of Area resource Centres and SDI - Slum Dwellers International, India
- Ms. Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Executive Director, UN-Habitat (moderator)
- H.E. Eng. Basim Bin Yacob Al Hamer, Minister of Housing, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Dr. Zsuzsanna Jakab, Deputy Director-General, World Health Organization
- Ms. Gillian Triggs, Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Ms. Olga Algayerova, Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
- Mr. Robert Piper, Director, United Nations Development Coordination Office (DCO)
- Member States interventions
- Professor Lance Jay Brown, President, the Consortium for Sustainable Urbanization (Civil Society)
- Watch archived webcast of the meeting
- UN News Article “Sustainable development hinges on fate of world’s cities”
- Progress in the Implementation of the New Urban Agenda (2019-2022) Quadrennial Report of the Secretary-General
[ العربية | 中文 | English | Français | Pусский | Español ]
- Regional Commissions’ report on the progress on the implementation of the New Urban Agenda
- High-Level Meeting on the Implementation of the New Urban Agenda | General Assembly of the United Nations
- UN Habitat website dedicated to the High-level Meeting on the Implemnetation of the New Urban Agenda