The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) will convene a special high-level meeting on “A Vaccine for All” on 16 April 2021. The ECOSOC Special Meeting will take place on a virtual platform from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
As the world struggles with a pandemic of historical proportion, immense progress has been made with the launch of the first vaccines against COVID-19. The race to develop and deploy safe and effective vaccines everywhere is a top priority for the international community, especially with new contagious COVID-19 strains. But inequality in access to the vaccine is threatening to deepen further the divide between the poor and the rich countries.
The Economic and Social Council will explore ways to ensure equal access to the vaccine, as a global public good. It will discuss ways to bridge the financing gap and to maximize the vaccine supply, affordability, and distribution throughout the world. The Council will also explore how to strengthen countries' capacities, infrastructure and readiness for vaccine distribution and preparedness against other shocks.
The outcome of the meeting will be a presidential statement.
- World Health Organization: COVID-19 pandemic
- World Health Organization: COVID-19 vaccines
- Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator
- UNICEF and COVID-19 Vaccines
- COVID-19 related information from the UN System
- Policy Brief: COVID-19 and Universal Health Coverage
- Latest news from UN News Centre