In the past year, the challenges of the COVID-19 and the pandemic that ensued have further underscored the imperative of enhanced collaboration between ECOSOC and the PBC to advance inclusive and conflict-sensitive responses to help address the present health and humanitarian crisis and contribute to peace and development, particularly in conflict-affected countries.
The objectives of the meeting of ECOSOC and the Peacebuilding Commission were to: i) Increase awareness of the complex challenges related to COVID-19 with emphasis on the pandemic’s impact on socio-economic development and peacebuilding; ii) Promote the sharing of information and knowledge on the experiences of countries across the world in responding to COVID-19 and its impacts, especially for the benefit of conflict affected countries; iii) Identify opportunities for coordinated and coherent action, with the support of the international community in post-COVID recovery, with emphasis on financing for sustainable development and peacebuilding in countries affected by crisis and conflict; and, iv) Consider options for predictable and sustained financing for peacebuilding, including ways of scaling up PBF investments in countries that seek such assistance.
The meeting of ECOSOC and the Peacebuilding Commission was in a virtual format and it took place on 19 November 2020 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Programme and Statements
- Concept Note
- Speakers' bios
- United Nations Comprehensive Response to COVID-19, September 2020
- The Secretary General’s Peacebuilding Fund Briefing Note: COVID-19 Pandemic
- UNOSSC Webinar Series Highlighting Southern Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- United Nations COVID-19 Response
- Joint ECOSOC and PBC Meeting on “The Impact of Cross-border Transhumance on Sustainable Peace and Development in West Africa and the Sahel” (2019)
- Joint ECOSOC and PBC Meeting on Linkages between Climate Change and Challenges to Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace in the Sahel (2018)