The theme of the 2017 session of ECOSOC is: Eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions through promoting sustainable development, expanding opportunities and addressing related challenges.
Held on an annual basis, the High-level Segment represents the culmination of ECOSOC's annual cycle of work and convenes a diverse group of high-level representatives from Government, the private sector, civil society and academia for policy dialogue, review and recommendations on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and other internationally agreed development goals.
The 2017 High-level Segment of ECOSOC will be held 17 to 20 July 2017, at UN Headquarters in New York. As in previous years, the 2017 High-level Segment of ECOSOC will also include the ministerial meeting of the high-level political forum on sustainable development, convened under the auspices of ECOSOC from 17 to 19 July 2017.
On 20 July 2017, the following two sessions are scheduled:
- High-level Policy Dialogue with the International Financial and Trade Institutions on "Current Trends in Economic and Trade Policy and the Advancement of Sustainable Development"
- Concept note
- Mr. Wu Hongbo, UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (panellist) - remarks
- Mr. Mahmoud Mohieldin, World Bank Group (panellist)
- Mr. Yonov Frederick Agah, World Trade Organization (panellist) - presentation
- Ms. Isabelle Durant, UN Conference on Trade and Development (panellist) - remarks
- Mr. Sean Nolan, International Monetery Fund (panellist) - presentation
- Mr. Douglas Frantz, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (guest) (remarks)
- Mr. Amar Bhattacharya, Brookings Institution (moderator)
- World Economic Situation and Prospects as of mid-2017 (E/2017/65)
- Thematic discussion on "Reducing multidimensional poverty in the SDG era"
- Concept note
- H.E. Ms. Fatoumata Jallow-Tanbajang, Minister of Women’s Affairs & Overseer of the Office of The Vice President, Gambia
- H.E. Mr. Marcos Barazza, Ministry for Social Development, Chile - remarks (in Spanish)
- H.E. Mr. Jorge Ramon Hernandez Alcerro, Cabinet of Government, Honduras - presentation
- H.E. Mr. Bambang P.S. Brodjonegoro, Ministry of National Development Planning, Indonesia - presentation
- Mr. Martin Ravallion, Georgetown University - presentation
- Mr. Selim Jahan, UN Development Programme (moderator)
- Report of the Secretary-General on the 2017 Thematic Dialogue (E/2017/69)
- Main Findings of the Report
- Adoption of the 2017 Ministerial Declaration
- Report on the 19th Session of the Committee for Development Policy (E/2017/33)
- Summary report of the e-Discussion on 2017 theme, jointly organized by UNDP and DESA
- Statements by Civil Society