The 2016 High-level segment of ECOSOC was chaired by Ambassador Oh Joon, President of ECOSOC. It represented the culmination of ECOSOC’s 2015-2016 cycle, and addressed the Council’s overall annual theme, “Implementing the post-2015 development agenda: moving from commitments to results”.
The 2016 High-level Segment was held from 18-22 July 2016, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
The 2016 theme was decided as part of ECOSOC Decision 2015/203 .
The 2016 High-level segment consisted of several key features meant to advance coordination, dialogue and follow-up and review on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, in line with the relevant mandates of the United Nations. As in previous years, three of the five days of the Segment included the ministerial-level portion of the High-level political forum (HLPF) on sustainable development (18-20 July). This year’s Segment also included the biennial Development Cooperation Forum (DCF) (21-22 July).
The High-level Segment concluded with the adoption of a Ministerial Declaration. In addition to the three-day, ministerial-level portion of the HLPF, the High-level segment included:
- Thematic discussion
- Introduction of the Secretary-General's reports on the overall theme of the Council;
- Introduction of the Committee on Development Policy (CDP) report.
The 2016 ECOSOC High-level Segment brought together high-level representatives of UN Member States, civil society actors, including non-governmental organizations, academia and the private sector, and the UN system.
Additional event information
- Implementing the post-2015 development agenda: moving from commitments to results - Report by the Secretary-General
- Summary report of the 2016 e-Discussion on 2016 theme, jointly organized by UNDP and DESA
- Infrastructure for sustainable development for all - Note by the Secretary-General
- Statements by Civil Society