The ECOSOC Humanitarian Affairs Segment (HAS) provides a unique opportunity for Member States, United Nations entities, humanitarian and development partners, the private sector and affected communities to discuss emerging and pressing humanitarian issues. Since 1998, the HAS has also been an essential platform for discussing the activities and issues related to strengthening the coordination of the humanitarian assistance of the United Nations.
This year's HAS will take place from 27 – 29 June in New York. It will follow the first-ever World Humanitarian Summit, to take place in Istanbul from 23 - 24 May. The HAS will be an important occasion to discuss the themes and outcomes of the World Humanitarian Summit and the contribution towards achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the commitment to leave no-one behind.
The HAS enables Member States to engage with the United Nations and non-United Nations humanitarian and development community, the private sector, affected people and other actors from a range of geographic groups on current humanitarian challenges.
Official Meetings and Other Events
The organization of the HAS will include an opening of the Segment by the Secretary-General, a General Debate, including action on the annual ECOSOC humanitarian resolution, High-Level Interactive Panels, and a number of side events. The annual informal ECOSOC event on the transition from relief to development which links discussions between the ECOSOC Operational Activities for Development Segment and the HAS will take place before the opening of the Segment.
To request a side event application form please contact OCHA’s Intergovernmental Policy Section at email@example.com. The deadline to apply to host a side event is 6 May 2016.
For more administrative information, please refer to the UN Journal.
- Provisional Agenda
- Draft Calendar
- Concept Note - High-Level Panel on “Moving beyond business as usual: Working together to reduce need, risk and vulnerability”
- Concept Note - High-Level Panel on “Leaving No One Behind: Addressing Forced Displacement”
- Concept Note - High-Level Panel – "Impediments to the Protection of Civilians"
- A/71/82-E/2016/60 - Report of the Secretary-General on Strengthening of the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the United Nations
- 2015 ECOSOC Humanitarian Affairs Segment Synthesis
- E/2016/XX - Draft resolution on strengthening the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the United Nations [This resolution will be negotiated in June 2016]