The DCF Uganda High-level Symposium provided a first opportunity for the range of actors to discuss ways to motivate, support and further shape development cooperation as a critical ‘means of implementation’ for the 2030 Agenda. The Government of Uganda and the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs co-organized the event, held in Kampala from 4-6 November 2015.
The Symposium echoed the collective commitment to realize the 2030 Agenda. It made a strong call to make best use of the early implementation phase, by adapting existing policies, tools and platforms to support an integrated approach to delivery on the new Agenda at all levels. Participants expressed a sense of urgency to sustain momentum, eagerness to learn, keenness to share and readiness to act.
The lively deliberations showed that open exchanges about development cooperation towards the SDGs will have to remain at the centre of a revitalized global partnership for sustainable development.
Policy briefs (see below) prepared by UNDESA, the host country and independent experts informed the discussions. Participants focused on two overarching questions: How will we adapt development cooperation policies and interventions for implementing the SDGs? And how will we monitor and review the impact of development cooperation in advancing the new sustainable development agenda? Particular attention was placed on what this means in terms of challenges and opportunities for development cooperation in Africa.
Pre-meeting workshops focused on country results frameworks for reviewing development cooperation and national development cooperation policies.
The Symposium brought together over 150 participants, including senior government officials and representatives of parliament, civil society, private sector, academia and international organizations.
H.E. Mr. Matia Kasaija, Minister of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, Uganda and Mr. Wu Hongbo,Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, UNDESA co-chaired the Symposium. The Prime Minister of Uganda, H.E. Mr. Ruhakana Rugunda, opened the Symposium on behalf of H.E. Mr. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda.
The Sympoisum feeds preparations for the high-level meeting of the Development Cooperation Forum to take place in New York in July 2016. It also informs other functions of the United Nations Economic and Social Council, which plays a major role in the follow-up of the 2030 Agenda and Addis Ababa Action Agenda at global level.
- Official Summary
- Key messages from the floor
- Programme [EN]; [ES]; [FR]
- Schedule of events
- H.E. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda
- Opening statement by H. E. Mr. Oh Joon, President of the Economic and Social Council, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to the United Nations, New York
- Opening Statement by Mr. Wu Hongbo, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations (UNDESA)
- Hon. Mr. Fred Jachan Omach, Minister of State (General Duties), Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, Uganda
- Closing statement by Hon. Matia Kasaija, Minister of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, Uganda
- Closing statement by H.E. Mr. Oh Joon, President of the Economic and Social Council, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to the United Nations, New York
- Closing Statement by Mr. Wu Hongbo, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations (UNDESA)
- List of participants
- Renewing the global partnership for sustainable development [EN]; [ES]; [FR]
- International development cooperation to promote technology facilitation and capacity building for the 2030 Agenda [EN]; [ES]; [FR]
- Citizen-based monitoring of development cooperation to support implementation of the 2030 Agenda [EN]; [ES]; [FR]
- Monitoring and review of development cooperation at the local level [EN]; [ES];[FR]
- Private and blended development cooperation: Assessing their effectiveness and impact for achieving the SDGs [EN]; [ES]; [FR]
- Country results frameworks for effective monitoring and review
Pre-meetings (4 November)
Workshop 1 : Country Results Frameworks
Workshop 2: National Development Cooperation Policies
Stake holder consultations
For further questions, please contact email@example.com, with a reference to the DCF Uganda High-level Symposium.