The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) with support from United Nations Office for Partnerships (UNOP) and the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy (CECP), presents a special event on “How corporate philanthropy can contribute to advancing the Millennium Development Goals, particularly for sustainable development”. This program will be held on National Corporate Philanthropy Day, 25 February 2008, 3:00 to 5:40 p.m. in the ECOSOC Chamber at the United Nations Headquarters, New York City, followed by a networking reception sponsored by AIG.
The President of the Economic and Social Council, as well as two panels of senior UN representatives, CEOs, and corporate philanthropy leaders, will discuss the tremendous opportunities for collaboration and partnership between companies, foundations, governments and NGOs to further U.N. goals for sustainable development.
Through innovative and high-visibility public-private partnerships, companies and other organizations can achieve their social responsibility goals while helping the United Nations meet needs where demand is greatest around the globe.
Participation in this event is by invitation only and space is limited. There is no charge to attend, but advance registration is required. For more information regarding participation or if you have questions, please contact us .
The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) seeks to promote dialogue and partnership on global policies and trends in economic and social areas by bringing together stakeholders from all sectors to actively work together to promote development worldwide. ECOSOC is the intergovernmental body also responsible for ensuring the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). There is clear evidence that in order to effect change and improve the living conditions of billions of people in a sustainable manner, partnerships between governments and civil society and business are more important than ever.
The United Nations Office for Partnerships (UNOP) serves as a gateway for partnership opportunities with the United Nations family. It promotes new collaborations and alliances in furtherance of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and provides support to new initiatives of the Secretary-General.
The Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy (CECP) is the only international forum of business CEOs and Chairpersons pursuing a mission focused exclusively on corporate philanthropy. CECP's mission is to lead the business community in raising the level and quality of corporate philanthropy. Engaging with the public, private, and independent sectors, CECP members seek and create opportunities to serve as corporate giving advocates, practitioners, educators, and spokespersons to advance the case for philanthropy and to inspire other business leaders to make a lasting commitment to community giving.
Participants will explore:
- How UN Member States can gain a deeper understanding of strategic corporate philanthropy as it relates to international development – how to leverage key lessons and create replicable opportunities that can bring this form of philanthropy to scale;
- How private sector partners could broaden their knowledge of the objectives of the Millennium Development Goals – how government entities are accomplishing these goals, and opportunities for better partnership for stronger sustainable development in areas that require the world's attention.
- H.E. Mr. Léo Mérorès, President of ECOSOC
- H.E. Ms. Asha-Rose Migiro, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Mr. Charles Moore, Executive Director, CECP
Conversation I: “Applying strategic philanthropy to the MDGs”
- Mr. Steve Gunderson, President and CEO, Council on Foundations
- Mr. Ad Melkert, Associate Administrator, UNDP
- Ms. Jane Nelson, Senior Fellow and Director, Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative, Harvard University , and Director, International Business Leaders Forum
- Mr. Akhtar Badshah, Senior Director, Community Affairs, Microsoft Corporation
- Professor Jeffrey Sachs, Special Advisor of the Secretary-General on the MDGs (Moderator)
Conversation II: “Leveraging leadership and strengthening partnerships through positive dialogue”
- Mr. Sha Zukang, Under-Secretary-General of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations
- Ms. Christina Gold, CEO, Western Union
- Mr. John C. Whitehead, Former Co-Chair, Goldman-Sachs & Co.
- Ms. Hilde Johnson, Deputy Executive Director, UNICEF
- Ms. Kathy Bushkin Calvin, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, United Nations Foundation (Moderator)
- Mr. Amir Dossal, Executive Director, UN Office for Partnerships