In the fall of 2020, the General Assembly conducted the Quadrennial Comprehensive Policy Review of UN system operational activities (QCPR), which culminated in the adoption of a new QCPR resolution [A/RES/75/233] on 21 December 2020.
Consultations leading up to the adoption of the resolution were held in a virtual format for the first time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The main input to the QCPR was the Secretary-General’s progress report [A/75/79-E/2020/55], which was discussed at the ECOSOC Operational Activities segment held in May 2020.
The 2020 QCPR will guide the United Nations development system over the next four years (2021-2024). Held on the heels of the General Assembly high-level event on the UN 75th anniversary, the QCPR gave new impetus and high-level political guidance to the UN development system repositioning and its efforts to work in an effective and impactful way across development, peace, humanitarian affairs and human rights.
The new QCPR captures the expressed need by programme countries for support on climate change, integrated policy advice and leveraging partnerships and financing; the importance of stronger collaboration with international finance institutions and multilateral development banks. It also points to the need to shift from a traditional model of direct support and service provision towards a greater emphasis on integrated high-quality policy advice. The resolution also reflects the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic as evidenced in a much stronger emphasis on disaster risk reduction, human rights, countries in special situations as well as topics new to the QCPR, such as education, health, social protection, disability, science. technology and innovation.
- A/RES/75/233 [Quadrennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system]
Delegates Training Series on the QCPR [DESA & UNITAR]
- Full programme
- Module 1 (24 April) – The QCPR and the UN development system: Video; Material
- Module 2 (16 June) – A tailored and targeted UNDS’ support to countries’ efforts to advance the 2030 Agenda: Video; Material
- Module 3 (2 July) – Funding the UN’s operational activities for development and Financing the SDGs: Video; Material
- Module 4 (17 September) - Looking forward to the 2020 QCPR: Video; Materials; List of Resources