- Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) [Last week of March 2021 (TBD) 54th session]
- Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) [20–21 April 2021 69th session]
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) [26 – 28 October 2020, 38th biennial session] (No session in 2021)
- Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) [26 – 30 April 2021, 77th session] - Building back better from crises through regional cooperation in Asia and the Pacific
- Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) TBD [31st ministerial session]
Functional Commissions [Upcoming sessions/themes]
Commission for Social Development (CSocD)
8 - 17 February 2021, 59th session
Priority Theme: Socially just transition towards sustainable development: the role of digital technologies on social development and well-being of all
Emerging Issues: Social policy to promote a more inclusive, resilient and sustainable recovery: Building back better post COVID-19 for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development.
Theme of Ministerial Forum: Promoting multilateralism to realize inclusive, resilient and sustainable recovery from COVID-19 in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development and its social dimensions.
1 - 3 and 5 March 2021, 52nd session
Topics for discussion include: (i) International migration statistics; (ii) Household surveys; (iii) Economic statistics; (iv) Environmental-economic accounting; (v) Data and indicators for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; (vi) Follow-up to the policy decisions of the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council; (vii) Management and modernization of statistical systems; (viii) Big data; (ix) Regional statistical development.
Please see the annotated agenda for more information.
Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
15 - 26 March 2021, 65th session
Priority Theme: Women's full and effective participation and decision-making in public life, as well as the elimination of violence, for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls.
Review theme: Women's empowerment and the link to sustainable development (agreed conclusions of the 60th session)
Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND) [12 - 16 April 2021, 64th session; 9 - 10 December 2021, reconvened 64th session]
(i) Actions for the further implementation of the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development at the global, regional and national levels;
(ii) Population, food security, nutrition and sustainable development.
United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF)
26 - 30 April 2021, 16th session
(i) Reversing the loss of forest cover;
(ii) Enhancing forest-based economic, social and environmental benefits;
(iii) Mobilizing financial resources and strengthening scientific and technical cooperation; promoting governance frameworks to advance implementation; and enhancing cooperation, coordination and coherence, for sustainable forest management.
Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD)
17 - 21 May 2021, 24th session
Priority theme 1: Using STI to close the gap on SDG 3, good health and well-being.
Priority theme 2: Harnessing blockchain for sustainable development: prospects and challenges.
Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ)
17 - 21 May 2021, 30th session; 9 - 10 December 2021, reconvened 30th session
Theme: Effective measures to prevent and counter the smuggling of migrants, while protecting the rights of smuggled migrants, particularly women and children, and those of unaccompanied migrant children
Expert bodies composed of governmental experts
Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (GGIM)
4 - 6 August 2021 , 11th session
Topics for discussion include: (i) Strengthening geospatial information management; (ii) Contribution of regional committees and thematic groups to the global geospatial information agenda; (iii) Integrated Geospatial Information Framework; (iv) Global geodetic reference frame; (v) Geospatial information for sustainable development; (vi) Integration of geospatial, statistical and other related information; (vii) Application of geospatial information related to land administration and management; (viii) Geospatial information and services for disasters; (ix) Marine geospatial information; (x) Legal and policy frameworks, including issues related to authoritative data.
Intergovernmental Working Group of Experts on International Standards of Accounting and Reporting (ISAR)
Autumn 2021 TBD 38th session
(i) Review of practical implementation, including measurement, of core indicators for entity reporting on the contribution towards the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals.(ii) Climate-related financial disclosures in mainstream entity reporting: good practices and key challenges.
- Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods and on the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals [9 December 2022, 11th session]
Expert bodies composed of members serving in their personal capacity
Committee for Development Policy (CDP)
22 - 26 February 2021, 23rd session
Topics for discussion include: (i) Contribution of the Committee for Development Policy to the theme of the Economic and Social Council; (ii) Triennial Review of the Least Developed Country Category; (iii) Monitoring of graduating and graduated countries; (iv) Improvements in graduation process and monitoring; (v) Voluntary national reviews; (vi) Contributions of the Committee for Development Policy to the new programme of action for least developed countries.
Committee of Experts on Public Administration (CEPA)
12 - 16 April 2021, 20th session
Theme: Building inclusive, effective and resilient institutions for sustainable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and timely implementation of the SDGs
Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (PFII) [19 - 30 April 2021, 20th session]
- Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters [26 - 28 and 30 April 2021, 22nd session]
ECOSOC Standing Committees
- Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations [17 - 25 May 2021 and 27 May and 7 June 2021, regular session; 30 August - 3 September 2021 and 7-10 September 2021, resume session]
- Committee for Programme and Coordination (CPC) [June 2021 (TBD) 61st session]
Ad Hoc bodies
Ad Hoc Advisory Group on Haiti [May 2021 (TBD)]
Other related bodies
- International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) [31 Aug - 4 Sep 2020, 128th session; 27 Oct - 13 Nov 2020, 129th session]
- Programme Coordinating Board of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS [15–18 December 2020, 47th meeting]
- Executive Board of the International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women
- United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition (UNSCN)
- Committee for the United Nations Population Award