His Excellency Hamidon Ali was elected sixty-sixth President of the Economic and Social Council on 19 January 2010. Ambassador Ali is currently the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Malaysia to the United Nations in New York. Prior to this, he was Malaysia’s Ambassador to Indonesia (2003-2005); High Commissioner of Malaysia to Singapore (2001-2003); and the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Malaysia to the United Nations Office in Geneva (1996-2001).
He is also presently the Chairman of the UN Population Award Committee. He was Chairman of the 5th Committee; Management and Budgetary of the 62nd Session of the UN General Assembly and was also Vice-President of the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in 2008. He has served as Chairman of the Co-ordinating Bureau of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) and the ASEAN New York Committee (ANYC); and Vice-Chairman of the UN Forum on Forests (UNFF) in 2006-07. In Geneva, Ambassador Hamidon Ali was also Malaysia’s Ambassador to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and to the United Nations Conference on Disarmament (CD). He was co-ordinator of the Asian Group on Human Rights, the Chairman of the OIC Group, the Chairman of the Group of Representatives of G15, the Chairman of the Commonwealth Group of Developing Countries in the WTO, the Chairman of the Asian Group in UNCTAD, Chairman of the Asia-Pacific Group in ILO, and he was also a member of the Advisory Board of South-North Development Monitor published by the Third World Network. Ambassador Hamidon Ali chaired the “Friends of Dr. Supachai” group in the run-up to the selection of Dr. Supachai Panichpakdi as Director-General of the WTO.
As a career diplomat Ambassador Hamidon Ali has also served in various capacities in Malaysian missions in Paris, Beijing and Tokyo. He was also the Under-Secretary I in-charge of multilateral and regional issues, including APEC and IOR-ARC during the period 1991-1996, and has represented Malaysia in various ASEAN, IOR-ARC and APEC meetings.
Ambassador Hamidon Ali is a graduate of Monash University and Harvard University. In recognition to his services he has been awarded the following awards:
Darjah Panglima Jasa Negara (PJN) from the King of Malaysia which carries the title Datuk;
Darjah Kebesaran Setia Mahkota Kelantan Yang Amat Terbilang (S.P.S.K.) from the Sultan of Kelantan which carries the title ‘Dato’;
Darjah Yang Mulia Mahkota Johor (DPMJ) from the Sultan of Johor, which carries the title Dato’;
Darjah Indera Mahkota Pahang (DIMP) from the Sultan of Pahang which carries the title Dato’;
Kesatria Mangku Negara (KMN) from the King of Malaysia; and
Commander of the Order of Bernado O’Higgins from the Government of the Republic of Chile.
Ambassador Hamidon Ali is married to Datin Amy Low Abdulah and has two sons.
- UN Security Council meeting on women, peace and security - (26 October 2010)
- Introduction of the Report of the Economic and Social Council for 2010 (A/65/3) at the General Assembly
- Closing of the Substantive Session - (23 July 2010)
- Joint Special of ECOSOC and the Peacebuilding Commission on the "Millennium Development Goals in Countries Emerging from Conflict" - (19 July 2010)
- Opening of the High-level Segment - (28 June 2010)
- Global Preparatory Meeting, Annual Ministerial Review - (22 April 2010)
- Global Preparatory Meeting, Development Cooperation Forum - (22 April 2010)
- Civil Society Development Forum 2010: "Financing for Climate Change: Gender Equality" - (21 April 2010)
- Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, 9th Session - (19 April 2010)
- Committee of Experts on Public Administration, 9th Session - (19 April 2010)
- Commission on Population and Development, 43rd Session - (15 April 2010)
- Commission on the Status of Women, 54th Session, Expert Panel on the Preparation for the ECOSOC's Annual Ministerial Review - (9 March 2010)
- Commission on the Status of Women, 54th Session - (1 March 2010)
- Special Event on Engaging Philanthropy to Promote Women Empowerment and Gender Equality - (22 February 2010)
- Commission for Social Development, 48th Session - (3 February 2010)
- Meeting of the Chairpersons of the Functional Commissions with the Bureau of ECOSOC - (29 January 2010)
- Expert Group Meeting on "Accelerating Implementation Through National Voluntary Presentations" - (28 January 2010)
- ECOSOC Organizational Session - (19 January 2010)