His Excellency Dalius Čekuolis was elected sixty-third President of the Economic and Social Council on 17 January 2007. Ambassador Čekuolis is the Per manent Representative of the Republic of Lithuania to the United Nations. He presented his credentials to the United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan on 2nd March 2006.
In March 2006, Mr. Čekuolis was nominated by Eastern European Group as a Vice-chair of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations.
Ambassador Čekuolis began his diplomatic career for the Republic of Lithuania in 1990, as Head of the Press and Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. From 1992 to 1994, Mr. Čekuolis served as Ambassador of the Republic of Lithuania to Denmark , Norway and Iceland .
From 1994 to 1998, Mr. Čekuolis also served as Ambassador to Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg and, concurrently, as the Lithuanian representative to the Western European Union and to the North Atlantic Cooperation Council of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
Ambassador Čekuolis was Head of the Committee of Senior Officials of the Council of the Baltic Sea States, in charge of the Presidency of the Republic of Lithuania of that body from 1998 to 1999. He served as his country's Ambassador to Portugal from 1999 to 2004, after which he was appointed Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania, in charge of security policy.
Mr. Čekuolis graduated from the Institute of International Relations in Moscow , in 1982. In addition to Lithuanian, Mr. Čekuolis speaks English, Spanish, French, Russian and Portuguese. Mr. Čekuolis was born on 29 March 1959 in Vilnius , Lithuania.
- Statement to the General Assembly on the introduction of the report of the Economic and Social Council for 2007 (29 October 2007)
- Closing remarks, 2007 Substantive Session of ECOSOC (27 July 2007)
- Statement at the Launch of the Development Cooperation Forum (5 July 2007)
- Opening Statement at the High-level Segment of the Economic and Social Council (2 July 2007)
- Statement at the meeting of the Organizational Committee Peacebuilding Commission (27 June 2007)
- Speaking notes at the debate on Natural Resources and Conflict (25 June 2007)
- Statement at the meeting on Financing Development to Achieve the MDGs (17-18 June 2007)
- Talking points, AIT 19th Annual Information Security Meeting “Promoting Global Cyber Security: The importance of building confidence and trust in the Internet” (4 June 2007)
- Opening statement at the opening ceremony of the sixth session of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (14 May 2007)
- Opening statement at Development Cooperation Forum, Vienna High-level Symposium (19 April 2007)
- Concluding remarks at the Economic and Social Council, Special High-Level Meeting with the Bretton Woods institutions, the WTO and UNCTAD (16 April 2007)
- Statement at the ECOSOC Special High-Level Meeting with the Bretton Woods institutions, the WTO and UNCTAD (16 April 2007)
- Statement at the opening of the Fifty-First Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (26 February 2007)
- Statement at the open debate of the Security Council on the Maintenance of International Peace and Security (20 February 2007)
- Statement at the open debate of the Security Council on the Peacebuilding Commission (31 January 2007)
- Opening Statement, Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, 2007 Regular Session (22 January 2007)
- Opening Statement, Organizational Session of ECOSOC (17 January 2007)