The theme of the 2020 session of ECOSOC is "Accelerated action and transformative pathways: realizing the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development".
Held on an annual basis, the High-level Segment (HLS) represents the culmination of ECOSOC's annual cycle of work and convenes a diverse group of high-level representatives from Government, the private sector, civil society and academia. The General Assembly, in its resolution 68/1, stated that: “A high-level segment will be held in July. It will continue to discharge the functions of the high-level segment of the Council as provided for in General Assembly resolutions 45/264 of 13 May 1991, 48/162 of 20 December 1993, 50/227 of 24 May 1996 and 61/16 of 20 November 2006, in particular the biennial two-day Development Cooperation Forum, unless otherwise indicated in the present resolution or in resolution 67/290 of 9 July 2013. The segment will include the three-day ministerial meeting of the high-level political forum on sustainable development provided for in resolution 67/290. The outcome of the segment will be a ministerial declaration”.
The 2020 High-level Segment (HLS) of ECOSOC included the three-day ministerial meeting of the high-level political forum from 14 to 16 July, and one day HLS on Friday 17 July 2020, in an entirely virtual format (Information note on the arrangements for the 2020 HLPF and HLS). The general debate of the 2020 High-level Political Forum/ High-level Segment of ECOSOC was conducted through written statements from Ministers and other representatives of Member States, UN system organizations, intergovernmental organizations (IGOs) and other international and regional organizations, as well as the Major Groups and other stakeholders. All these statements were posted online.
- Official website of the Programme of the Integration Segment, High-level Political Forum and High-level Segment of ECOSOC
- New - Programme at a Glance: Draft Programme for the High-level Segment of ECOSOC, including the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development and the Integration Segment of ECOSOC (10 July)
- New: Annotated Programme for the High Level Segment of ECOSOC, including High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (16 July)
- Information note on the arrangements for the 2020 HLPF and HLS (updated 6 July)
ECOSOC Contribution to the 75th anniversary of the United Nations
"Multilateralism after COVID 19: what kind of UN do we need at the 75th anniversary?", for videos and statements, click here
- Statements for the general debate, click here
- Report of the Secretary-General on accelerated action and transformative pathways: realizing the decade of the action and delivery for sustainable development
- Report of the Secretary-General on long-term future trends and scenarios - impacts in the economic, social and environmental areas on the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Report of the Committee on Development Policy (E/2020/33, Supplement No. 13)
Background Notes of Sessions:
- Multilateralism after COVID 19: what kind of UN do we need at the 75th anniversary?
- Where are we heading? Visions and scenarios for the future of the SDGs following the COVID-19 crisis