The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Youth Forum took place on 8-9 April 2019. It provided a platform for young leaders from around the world to engage in a dialogue with United Nations Member States and to share ideas on how to advance the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The Forum served as a unique space for young people to share their vision and to elaborate their substantive contributions to United Nations upcoming meetings, including the 2019 ECOSOC Substantive Session, the 2019 high-level political forum on sustainable development (HLPF) and the high-level events taking place on the margins of the opening of the General Assembly, including the Climate Summit, the High-level Meeting on Financing for Development and the SDG Summit.
The Forum brought youth leaders from around the world to the United Nations Headquarters in New York. It gave them the opportunity to engage with government representatives, youth delegates, policymakers and other relevant stakeholders in civil society and the private sector.
The two-day event featured plenary sessions, interactive thematic and regionally-based discussions, and provided an opportunity for a rich exchange of views and ideas on innovative solutions to issues of relevance to young people on the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and also on the sustainable development goals under review in the Economic and Social Council and the High-level Political Forum in 2019.
- Draft Logistical Information
- Presidential Statement
- Side Events
- List of organizations
- Media Advisory
- Press Release
- SDG Media Zone - #SDGLivea
Concept notes and Background Note
8 April 2019
- PLENARY SESSION: Interactive Roundtable on “Youth 2030: Working with and for Young People” featuring Ministers, other high-level speakers, and youth organization representatives (11 a.m to 1 p.m.) – Trusteeship Council Chamber
Regional Breakout Sessions, 8 April 2019 (1.45 to 3.45 p.m.)
- Africa – Room 5 (Online reporting; Summary)
- Europe, North America and other States – Room 12 (Online reporting; Summary)
- Latin America and the Caribbean – Trusteeship Council Chamber (Online Reporting; Overall Summary)
- Asia and the Pacific – Room 8 (Online Reporting; Summary)
- Arab States region – Room 6 (Online reporting; Summary)
Thematic Breakout Sessions, 8 April 2019 (4 to 6 p.m.)
- SDG 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all – Room 12 (Online reporting; Summary)
- SDG 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all – Room 5 (Online reporting; Summary)
- SDG 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries – Room 8 (Summary)
- SDG 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts – Trusteeship Council Chamber (Online reporting; Summary)
- SDG 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels – Room 6 (Online reporting; Summary)
9 April 2019 – Trusteeship Council Chamber
- PLENARY SESSION: Interactive Roundtable: “Investing in Youth Development: Financing and other Means of Implementation” featuring Ministers and other High-Level speakers and youth organization representatives (11 a.m to 11.30 a.m.)
- PLENARY SESSION: Interactive Dialogue on “Youth, Peace and Security: Challenges and Prospects” (11.30 a.m to 1 p.m.) (Summary)
- PLENARY SESSIONS: Interactive Roundtable: Looking to the Future: “A dialogue on the High-level Political Forum (SDG) Summit” (3 to 5 p.m.) and A Dialogue with the United Nations System on the Way Forward (5 to 5.30 p.m.)