El Presidente de la Asamblea General se dirige a la Cuarta Comisión, 7 de octubre de 2019 [UN Photo]
Decolonization is one of the dedicated subjects that the Special Political and Decolonization Committee (Fourth Committee) of the General Assembly deals with.
As one of the Main Committees of the General Assembly, the Fourth Committee considers agenda items* allocated to it by the General Assembly and prepares recommendations and draft resolutions and decisions for submission to the General Assembly plenary.
In recent years, the General Assembly has allocated the following agenda items related to decolonization to the Fourth Committee:
- Information from Non-Self-Governing Territories transmitted under Article 73 e of the Charter of the United Nations;
- Economic and other activities which affect the interests of the peoples of the Non-Self-Governing Territories;
- Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples by the specialized agencies and the international institutions associated with the United Nations;
- Offers by Member States of study and training facilities for inhabitants of Non-Self-Governing Territories; and
- Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples.
For more information on meetings of decolonization segment of the Fourth Committee since the 63rd session/2008, please select the relevant session/year from the dropdown list below:
Information on how to register for the next session is available under “Contact Us”.