Implementing agency: International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA)
Project timeframe: 01/01/2017 – 31/12/2017
Target countries: West Africa, Southern Africa, East Africa, Central Africa, North America, Central America, Caribbean, South America, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Pacific, East Asia, Middle East, Western Europe, Central Europe, South-eastern Europe
Goal: Mobilize civil society organizations across the world to engage constructively with their governments, parliaments and media. Furthermore, raise awareness of key issues that would strengthen the UNPoA on SALW in the lead-up to the 2018 Review Conference.
Activities and Outputs:
Member organizations of IANSA have globally actively lobbied against gun violence including in the International Women’s Day, the Wear Orange campaign, the Global Week of Action Against Gun Violence, the International Day of Small Arms Destruction, the International Day of Peace, and 16 Days of Global Activism Against Gender Based Violence. IANSA reached out to media in support of these events, placing stories in radios, print media and social media. UNSCAR funding supported these activities through information and coordination from IANSA leadership as well as equipment and materials.
- IANSA used UNSCAR funds to support activities by member organizations during the Global Week of Action Against Gun Violence. Activities included seminars, public marches, press conferences, workshops, debates, awareness campaigns, roundtables, competitions for children and youth, and other events with parliamentarians, doctors, students, academics, government officials, women’s groups, traditional leaders, and community organizations. The theme of the Week of Action was “The Road to Development and Peace Begins with Silencing the Guns”, and activities reflected the realities in each country.
- IANSA produced briefing papers on key issues aimed to inform state actors from smaller countries in preparation of the 2018 UNPoA Review Conference (RevCon3): The 2018 Review Conference Overview, Global Overview of the Small Arms Problem, Five key issues for the 2018 RevCon3, Preventing Crimes and Violent Deaths Involving SALW, Illicit Flows of SALW and Sustainable Development, The PoA: Incomplete without the Inclusion of Ammunition, Gender, Armed Violence, and SALW: Women’s Involvement in the UN Small Arms Process.
- IANSA supported its member organizations in reaching out to governments and prepared webinars focused on the UNPoA for that purpose.
- IANSA raised awareness among government officials, holding briefings with representatives from several Missions at the UN.
- A short video about the global small arms problem and the UN small arms process was produced and well-received by civil society organizations (English, Spanish, French).