Through resolution 73/27, the General Assembly established an Open-Ended Working Group (OEWG), in which all UN Member States are invited to participate. The Group will convene for the first time in 2019 and report back to the General Assembly in 2020. The OEWG process also provides the possibility of holding intersessional consultative meetings with industry, non-governmental organizations and academia.
Ambassador Jürg Lauber of Switzerland was elected by acclamation to Chair the Open-ended Working Group.
Schedule of meetings
- Organizational session – New York, 3-4 June 2019 (CR4)
- First substantive session – New York, 9-13 September 2019 (CR4)
- Intersessional meeting with Industry Partners and NGOs – New York, 2-4 Dec 2019 (CR1)
- Second substantive session – New York, 10-14 February 2020
- Third (and final) substantive session – New York, 6-10 July 2020
To find out more about NGO accreditation to attend the OEWG meetings, click here.
Please check this page for updates.