Between 2019 and 2022 UNODA implements a global project in support of gender mainstreamed policies, programmes and actions in the fight against small arms trafficking and misuse, in line with the Women, Peace and Security agenda with funding from the European Union.
The project seeks to contribute to international peace, security, gender equality and sustainable development by enhancing the effectiveness of small arms control through the promotion of a gender-responsive framework and by promoting the equitable and meaningful participation of women in all arms control decision-making processes. The project supports the full and effective implementation of the Programme of Action on small arms and light weapons and contributes to the implementation of the WPS agenda, Goal 5 and 16 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the United Nations Secretary-General’s Agenda for Disarmament.
IN-COUNTRY TRAINING PROGRAMMES IN EIGHTEEN COUNTRIES
ASIA AND THE PACIFIC
LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN
[November 2020] UNLIREC and the Women’s Office of Argentina conduct a video conference titled “Firearms and Gender-Based Violence: Bridging the Gap”
[April 2021] UNLIREC delivers Specialized Course on Firearms Investigations from a Gender Perspective for officials from Argentina
[May 2021] UNLIREC delivers online seminar on ‘measures to prevent armed violence against women’ for institutions in Argentina
[February 2021] UNLIREC holds webinar on “Measures preventing armed violence against women” for Costa Rican institutions
[April 2021] UNLIREC delivers Specialized Course on Firearms Investigations from a Gender Perspective for officials from El Salvador
- Compendium | UNRCPD Project on Gun Violence and Illicit Small Arms Trafficking from a Gender Perspective: Activities, Outcomes, Recommendations
- Video testimonials | UNRCPD Seminars on Gun Violence and Illicit Small Arms Trafficking from a Gender Perspective
- Policy Paper | UNLIREC publication “Preventing violence against women through arms control in Latin America and the Caribbean: Recommendations during the COVID-19 crisis” [EN][FR][PR][SP]
- Normative sub-regional studies | UNLIREC publications “Making the link between norms on violence against women and small arms control and regulation norms”:
- Training manual on gender-responsive small arms control (coming in 2021)
PROMOTING THE LINKAGES BETWEEN SMALL ARMS CONTROL AND THE BROADER INTERNATIONAL POLICY AGENDA
CIVIL SOCIETY COLLABORATION IN SUPPORT OF LOCAL COMMUNITIES
UNODA partners with the International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA). Here is some of their work.
- 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence 2021
- Global Week of Action Against Gun Violence 2021
- Call to Action on Gender and Small Arms Control
- Longing for Peace video