The global launch of the International Year of Youth took place on Thursday, 12 August 2010 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the United Nations General Assembly Hall. The United Nations launched the International Year of Youth (12 August 2010 -11 August 2011), under the theme Dialogue and Mutual Understanding, to generate much needed attention for youth participation and youth development at local, national and global levels.
- Secretary-General’s Remarks on the International Year of Youth | Video
- Mr. Sha Zukang, Under-Secretary-General, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA)
- Mr. Samir Labidi, Minister of Youth, Sports and Physical Education, Republic of Tunisia
- S.E.M. Jean – Francis R. Zinsou, Ambassadeur Representant Permanent Du Benin, Aupres Des Nations Unies
- Ms. Jane Stewart, Special Representative to the United Nations and Director ILO Office for the United Nations
- SDAA Michael Yates, USAID
- Ms. Maya Saoud, youth representative, Pax Romana
- Remarks by Monique Coleman
Messages for the Day:
- Message of the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon on the International Day of Youth
- Joint Statement by Heads of UN Entities for the Launch of the International Year of Youth
- Alliance of Youth CEOs
Photos and Videos:
- Photos of the event
- Video of the Event [2 hours and 18 miunutes. RealPlayer software is needed to view this videos]
- United Nations public service announcement for the International Year of Youth
- Youth in Action: a Film on Youth Participation that was especially produced ADAP/UNICEF for the launch. This film has been produced by UNICEF especially for the launch of the International Year of Youth. This brings together voices and actions of young people from across the around the world on their Right to Participate. This short film is about understanding youth participation from young people’s perspective. These further shows, the process of young people’s participation e.g. participatory metrology, mobilizing youth networks, youth led organisations, etc. Finally it shows what youth participation results and impacts in from individual change to societal change for positive civic engagement leading to social transformation.
- For more videos, please visit our YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/unyouthyear2010
The Brochure of the Year provides an overview of the importance of the International Year for young people. Everyone is invited to promote the ideals of peace, freedom, progress and solidarity towards the promotion of youth development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. The Brochure is available in all official UN languages.