Social protection is now a challenge; it is not merely a set of economic policies in the workplace and in the areas of production. Rather, it is also a set of measures in the social sphere, which allows substantial contributions to the generation of frameworks of equality, by reducing the gaps in inequality and the eradication of poverty and social exclusion.
It is necessary to analyze the impact of fiscal contraction trends and public expenditure adjustment which have been identified in a number of countries on those most vulnerable in society. In this context, it is necessary to consider the most appropriate social policies to protect these groups while taking into account the UN Social Protection Floor initiative which calls for universal access to essential social transfers and services.
There is a growing consciousness of the benefits of social protection as a measure to protect people from becoming trapped in poverty, to empower them to seize opportunities, to help workers to adjust to changes and to deal with unemployment and thus support productivity. Therefore, the importance of social policies and social protection systems that address and reduce inequality and social exclusion for long-term sustainable and inclusive growth and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals should be taken into consideration.
- World Social Protection Report 2014/15: Building economic recovery,inclusive development and social justice
- 49th Session of the Commission for Social Development: Expert Panel on Emerging Issues: Social Protection, 14 February 2011: Keynote Speakers:
- Mr. Michael Morass (EU Commission), Deputy Head of Unit for External Relations, European Commission
- Mr. Michael Cichon, Director, Social Security Department, ILO
- Ms.Sarah Cook, Director, UNRISD
- Concept Paper: Emerging Issues: Social Protection
- Emerging issues: Social Protection E/CN.5/2011/8: English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 汉语
- UN News Centre, 14 February 2011: UN pushes for social schemes to protect poor at mere fraction of national wealth
- UN Radio, 15 February 2011: UN to focus on social protection targets
- Video of the UN Press Conference, 17 February 2011 to launch the “Successful Social Protection Floor Experiences” by the International Labour Organization (ILO) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Report of the Advisory Group chaired by Michelle Bachelet Convened by the ILO with the collaboration of the WHO: Social protection floor for a fair and inclusive globalization
- ILO: Social Protection Sector
- ILO-UN Social Protection Floor Initiative: The role of social security in crisis response and recovery, and beyond
- World Social Security Report 2010/11. Providing coverage in times of crisis and beyond