The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty will be observed at United Nations Headquarters on 17 October 2002. A press conference at 11.15 a.m. in Room S-226 will feature Eugen Brand, Director-General, ATD Fourth World Movement; Charles McNeill, Biodiversity Conservation and Poverty Reduction Adviser, Equator Initiative, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); Benson Venegas, Iniciativa Talamanca, Costa Rica, Equator Initiative Laureate 2002; and Ambassador Jean-David Levitte, Permanent Representative of France. A ceremony in the United Nations Garden, from 12.15 to 1.15 p.m., will be addressed among others by Under-Secretary-General Nitin Desai; Mr. Zéphirin Diabré, Associate Administrator, UNDP; H.E. Mr. Levitte, Permanent Representative of France; H.E. Mr. Michael Kafando, Permanent Representative of Burkina Faso; Mr. Eugen Brand; and Dr. Margaret Varma, Rutgers University. It will feature testimonies from people living in poverty, a theatre presentation by children from the Tapori Movement, and music by the Young People’s Chorus of New York City.Members of permanent missions, Secretariat staff, representatives of non-governmental organizations and the media are invited to attend.
Message of the President, General Assembly
Events held in 2002 to mark the Day
- UN Millennium Development Goals
- Editions Quart Monde: Lists activities and information related to 17 October, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, including events around the world, an info-pack, and the history of the Day.
- UNESCO: Poverty: the human rights approach
- UNDP: Poverty reduction
- Development Gateway
- World Bank PovertyNet
- UNFPA: Population and Poverty (State of World Population report 2004 – Chapter 2)
- IMF: The Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility
- IMF: Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers
- UNESCAP: Poverty and Development
- CyberSchoolBus: Poverty Curriculum