Side events: Information for organizers
Commission on Population and Development
Information for organizers of side events
The programme of side events, or activities organized outside the formal programme of the Commission’s 54th session, provides an excellent opportunity for Member States, Observer States, Observers, UN entities and civil society to discuss issues related to the special theme of the Commission or present relevant initiatives.
General information on the organization of side events for the 54th session:
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, CPD54 side events will take place virtually. A calendar of side events will be made available on the website of the 54th session.
- Side events may be organized by Permanent Missions, intergovernmental organizations, or United Nations system entities. Due to the unique circumstances of the 54th session, side events may also be organized by non-governmental organizations in consultative status with ECOSOC without involving a Member State or UN entity as co-sponsor. Co-sponsored events are encouraged.
- Organizers of events will be responsible for all logistical issues, such as making arrangements for the virtual platform to host their event, organizing the programme, liaising with participants for registration, addressing technical issues during the event, etc.
- Side events may take place during the week of the session (19-23 April 2021) or in the two weeks prior to session. Side events are usually scheduled to take place during the lunch break, that is, from 13:15 to 14:30 EDT. Early-morning events, that is, from 08:30 to 09:45 EDT, may be convenient for participants from different time zones.
- Side events should not conflict with plenary meetings of the 54th session (see Organization of work).
- Organizers are invited to send full information about their planned side events to the Secretariat (e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5 April 2021 for inclusion in the calendar of virtual side events. Information should include a flyer or concept note, registration information or meeting link, and contact information.
- Organizers should plan to hold their event in English or make their own arrangements for simultaneous interpretation.