GA Third Committee approves resolution “Rights of Indigenous Peoples”
On 12 November, the Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Committee (Third Committee), of the 76th session of the General Assembly discussed Rights of Indigenous Peoples [item 71(a)].
The Committee took up the draft resolution “Rights of indigenous peoples” (document A/C.3/76/L.22/Rev.1).
The resolution among other issues includes:
- Notes the work of the Local Communities and Indigenous Peoples Platform of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, emphasizing the role of indigenous peoples in achieving the targets and goals set out in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Express concern over the misappropriation and misuse of indigenous peoples’ cultural heritage, reaffirming that indigenous peoples have the right to maintain, control, protect and develop their cultural heritage, traditional knowledge and traditional cultural expressions, and that they also have the right to maintain, control, protect and develop their intellectual property over such cultural heritage, traditional knowledge and traditional cultural expressions.
- Urges States to take necessary measures where appropriate to ensure the rights, protection and safety of indigenous peoples, including indigenous leaders and indigenous human rights defenders.
- Welcomes the decision to convene a high-level event during 2022, organized by the President of the General Assembly, for the launch of the International Decade of Indigenous Language, inviting Member States to consider establishing national mechanisms with adequate funding for the successful implementation of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages, in partnership with indigenous peoples.
- Underlines the need to intensify efforts, in cooperation with indigenous peoples, to prevent and eliminate all forms of violence and discrimination against indigenous women.
The main sponsors were the Plurinational State of Bolivia and Ecuador.
The Committee approved the draft resolution “L.22/Rev.1” by consensus.