The observance of the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples at UN Headquarters took place on Monday, 10 August 2015, in the ECOSOC Chamber, from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The event was webcast live on webtv.un.org. Read the Press Release.
The year’s theme put a spotlight on the issue of indigenous peoples’ access to health care services, as improving indigenous peoples’ health remains a critical challenge for indigenous peoples, Member States and the United Nations. The “State of the World’s Indigenous Peoples, Volume II”, which was launched at the UN Headquarters event in observance of the International Day, provided important background information on the topic.
The commemoration of the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is organized by the Secretariat of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues and the Department of Public Information, co-sponsored by the NGO Committee on the International Decade of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
Holders of valid UNHQ grounds passes do not need to register.
Press Releases in languages
Messages of the Day
- Message of the Secretary-General
- Remarks of the Under-Secretary General of DESA
- Remarks of the Chair of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Message of the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Message from the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Peoples
- Message from the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO)
- Message from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Message from the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Message from the Global Compact
- Message from the UN Women
- Message from the International Fund on Agricultural Development (FAO)
- Message from the International Land Coalition (ILC)
- Message of Fondo para el desarrollo de los Pueblos Indígenas