As the 20th International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples, 9 August, fell on a Saturday, the Day was observed at UN Headquarters on Friday, 8 August 2014 in the ECOSOC Chamber from 3pm to 6pm. It was organized by the Secretariat of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues in cooperation with the NGO Committee on the International Decade of the World’s Indigenous Peoples.
The Commemoration featured statements from the Secretary-General, the President of the General Assembly, the Under-Secretary General for Economic and Social Affairs and the Vice-Chairperson of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues. An interactive dialogue on the theme of the Day followed, as well as a screening of a documentary film titled “Guswenta: Renewing the Two Row Wampum”.
Messages of the Day at the Event
- Message of the Secretary-General
- Message of the President of the General Assembly
- Message of the Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Message of the Vice-Chairperson of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII)
Interactive Dialogue Presentations
- Speaking Points of Deputy Permanent Representative of Denmark to the UN
- Presentation by Representative of the OHCHR of Guatemala
View the webcast of the event.
Messages from UN Agencies
- Message from the Executive Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- Contribution from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Joint Message by International Labour Organization (ILO) and Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
لعربية | Deutsch | English | Español | Français | Italiano | 中文
- Statement of UN Development Programme (UNDP)
- Press Release from United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Statement of United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- Message from UN Women
- Message from World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)