The 18th commemoration of the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples was held on Thursday, 9 August 2012 at the UN Headquarters in New York, organized by the Secretariat of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues DSPD/DESA, the United Nations Department of Public Information, and the NGO Committee on the Decade of the World’s Indigenous Peoples.
There were statements delivered by the Secretary-General, the Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs – DESA, the Chairperson of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues and others.
An interactive dialogue entitled “Indigenous Media, Empowering Indigenous Voices”, took place at the ECOSOC Chamber. Some short clips and videos were also screened during the commemoration.
Messages of the Day
- Message of the Secretary-General
English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 汉语
- Statement from UNICEF
- Contribution from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Message from the Director-General of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Message from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Message from the Executive Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD)
- Message from the Director-General of UNESCO English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 汉语
- Web special from UN Regional Information Centre for Western Europe (UNRIC)
- Message from the Director-General of the International Labour Organization (ILO)>>>English >>>Español >>>Video submission from ILO
- Message from the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- Message from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Web special from United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Message from UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative in Bangladesh
- Message of UN Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Message of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence against Children
- Statement by High Representative Catherine Ashton on behalf of the European Union