9 August commemorates the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples. It is celebrated around the world and marks the date of the inaugural session of the Working Group on Indigenous Populations at the United Nations in 1982.
As part of the commemoration, the Indigenous Peoples and Development Branch – Secretariat of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues/DISD/DESA, organized an event that brought together indigenous peoples’ organizations, UN agencies, Member States, civil society and relevant stakeholders.
This year’s theme was Indigenous Languages and focused on the current situation of indigenous languages around the world within the framework of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages. The aim was to highlight the critical need to revitalize, preserve, and promote indigenous languages and share good practices through expert/interactive panels and presentation of innovative initiatives on indigenous languages. The event also showcased creative initiatives and videos on indigenous languages at the United Nations visitor’s lobby.
The 2019 International Day observance took place on Friday 9 August from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm in the ECOSOC Chamber at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
What: 2019 International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
When: Friday 9 August from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm
Where: ECOSOC Chamber and the Visitor’s lobby – United Nations Headquarters in New York
Who: Indigenous peoples, UN agencies, Member States, civil society and relevant stakeholders.
- Concept note |EN|
- Programme |EN|
- Media Advisory |EN|
- Social Media Advisory |EN|
- Permanent Forum Recommendations on Indigenous Languages |EN|
- Message of the Secretary-General |EN|
- Remarks by the Deputy Secretary-General |EN|
- Message of the President of the 73rd Session of the General Assembly |EN| Video: |ES|
- Remarks by Mr. Brian Keane, Rapporteur of the 18th Session of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues |EN|
- UN experts urge decade of action to aid survival of indigenous languages (UN Mechanisms on the rights of indigenous peoples) |EN|