The 2018 High-Level Political Forum took place from 9–18 July at the UNHQ in New York under the theme “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies”. The following goals were reviewed:
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
In 2018, 47 States submitted their Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs), including several countries with indigenous peoples (such as Australia, Bhutan, Canada, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Namibia, Niger, Paraguay, Republic of Congo, Sri Lanka and Uruguay). Find information on the VNRs and the full list of countries here.
The Indigenous Peoples and Development Branch / Secretariat for the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues hosted a side event on “Learning from Indigenous Peoples’ Traditional Knowledge” on Monday 9 June 2018, 1:15–2:30 pm in Conference Room 12. The event was co-sponsored by the Permanent Mission of Canada.