The 2020 DCF Survey Study: Toward effective development cooperation in the COVID-19 period was launched on 10 July 2020, on the margins of the 2020 High-level Political Forum on sustainable development.
Read the full study here and the summary of the launch and related discussion here. Short briefing notes for on key findings and proposals are available for Parliaments and Local and Regional Governments.
WHY – Monitoring and review processes help countries and their development partners reach commitments together. Regular and inclusive monitoring and review of international development cooperation can build trust and promote mutual learning. It can bring about better results for sustainable development.
WHAT – Since 2008, UNDESA undertakes biennial surveys for the DCF on progress in national mutual accountability and transparency. The DCF Survey serves to monitor, review and document the evidence on the state of play in effectiveness of development cooperation on the ground in the responding countries.
HOW – Participating countries structure their assessment around five key enablers of effective development cooperation:
- National development cooperation policies (NDCPs)
- Country-driven results frameworks (CRFs)
- National development cooperation forums (NDCF)
- Development cooperation information systems (DCIS)
- Capacity support.
These enablers can serve as building blocks in the design and use of integrated national financing frameworks (INFFs). These frameworks help countries to mobilize and manage financial and non-financial resources to achieve national sustainable development strategies (NSDS).
Participation in the DCF Survey exercise can also facilitate countries’ preparation and follow-up of Voluntary National Reviews of progress towards the SDGs (VNRs).
Detailed analyses of findings are used to generate practical recommendations for policy makers and practitioners at the global, regional, national and subnational levels, and are made available in the biennial DCF Survey Study.
WHEN – The 2019/2020 DCF Survey exercise is now completed. Read the 2020 DCF Survey Study.
- Briefing notes on 2020 findings and proposals for Parliaments and Local and Regional Governments
- Read the Read Survey questionnaire [EN] [ES] [FR]
- Read information note and FAQs
- View glossary of issues (forthcoming)
- Access previous DCF surveys [2018 study]    
- Learn more about the survey