Theme “Families and Climate Action: Focus on SDG13”
The annual observance of the International Day of Families reflects the importance the international community attaches to families and their role in development. Recent commemorations of the Day focused on the role of families for the achievement of SDGs 1 – 5 and SDG 16.
The 2019 observance focuses on families, family policies and major SDG13 targets:
- SDG 13 target 13.3: Improve education, awareness-raising and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction and early warning
- SDG 13 target 13.2: integrate climate change measures into national policies, strategies and planning
The panel discussion will highlight:
- Inter-generational approach to sustainability
- Sustainable development education & practice
- Sustainable family farming from an indigenous perspective
- ‘Greening the blue’ and other good practices at the United Nations and beyond
The observance is organized by the Division for Inclusive Social Development of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs and the Global Communications Civil Society.
- The United Nations & Sustainable Action: from global to workplace and personal actions by Violaine Haeringer
- UN International Day of Families Remark by Paola Cervantes
- Youth, Families, and Climate Action: a global citizenship approach by Steve Chiu
Spread the Word and Connect with Us!
- Visit our websites at: http://bit.ly/un-idf2019 | https://www.un.org/en/events/familyday/
- Follow us on twitter @UNDESASocial and on Facebook at: facebook.com/UNDESASocial
- Use #DayofFamilies for all your tweets on the International Day of Families. Additional hashtags: #SDGs #GlobalGoals
- Celebrating #DayofFamilies? Planning a special activity? We want to know! Tweet or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org