Theme: Families, healthy lives and sustainable future
The central goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development focus on ending poverty, promoting shared economic prosperity, social development and people’s well-being while protecting the environment.
Families remain at the centre of social life ensuring the well-being of their members, educating and socializing children and youth and caring for young and old. From a policy perspective, taking families into account in the implementation of Sustainable Development Goals has a potential to speed up the achievements of many targets relating to individuals’ well-being.
A number of family policies, such as those supporting the caregiving role of families, work-family balance for parents, empowering families to support their individual members’ health, education and well-being, have been found to contribute to overall development goals. Still, a broad range of family policies enacted at national levels and relating to different facets of family life have an often untapped potential to further contribute to the achievement of many national development goals.
In particular, family-oriented policies can contribute to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals 1 to 5 relating to doing away with poverty and hunger; ensuring healthy lives and promoting of well-being for all ages; ensuring educational opportunities throughout the lifespan and achieving gender equality.
The theme of this year’s observance of the International Day of Families focuses on Sustainable Development Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- The Effects of Involved Fatherhood on Families, and How Fathers can be Supported both at the Workplace and in the Home by Scott Behson & Nathan Robbins
- Families, Parents and Youth Well-being by Rosario Esteinou
- Safe and Supportive Family Environments and Children’s Well-being by Daryl Higgins
- Work-family Balance and Health Outcomes by Zitha Mokomane
- Families, Intergenerational Transfers and Well-being of Older Adults by Wendy Wang
Digital Cards: Please click on the photos below and share them on social media using hashtags: #GlobalGoals and #DayOfFamilies
- UN Radio Interview with Annemie Drieskens, President, Confederation of Family Organisations in the European Union (COFACE)