The fifty-sixth session of the Commission for Social Development (CSocD56) will take place in Conference Room 4 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 29 January to 7 February 2018. The Commission is the advisory body responsible for the social development pillar of global development.
Priority Theme for the 2018 Policy Cycle:
Strategies for eradicating poverty to achieve sustainable development for all
Review of relevant United Nations plans and programmes of action pertaining to the situation of social groups:
(i) World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons;
(ii) Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons
(iii) World Programme of Action for Youth;
(iv) Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing, 2002;
(v) Family issues, policies and programmes;
Informal Briefings on the programme of work of the CSocD56:
- 15 January 2018:
- High-level political forum on sustainable development by Irena Zubcevic, Division for Sustainable Development, UNDESA
- ECOSOC and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by Neil Pierre, Office for ECOSOC Support and Coordination, UNDESA
- 13 December 2017:
- Highlights of the 56th Session of CSocD by Wenyan Yang, Division for Social Policy and Development, UNDESA
High-level Panel Discussions on:
- Strategies for eradicating poverty to achieve sustainable development for all
29 January 2018, CR.4, 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Towards sustainable and resilient societies: Innovation and inter-connectivity for social development
30 January 2018, CR.4, 3:00 – 6:00 pm
- Third review and appraisal of the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing
31 January 2018, CR.4, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Towards inclusive, resilient and sustainable development: an evidence-based approach to the mainstreaming of disability in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Agenda 2030
31 January 2018, CR.4, 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Draft list of Side Events (as of 19 January 2018)
Organization of the Session:
The Bureau of the Commission for Social Development (CSocD) plays a vital role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the session.
|Chairperson||Mr. Nikulás Hannigan (designate)||Iceland|
|Vice-Chairpersons||H.E. Mr. Lot Dzonzi (designate)||Malawi|
Ms. Mihaela Mecea (designate)
|Mr. Yao Shaojun||China|
|Mr. Bruno Rios||Mexico|
- Official documents for the session (as of 20 December 2017)
- UNDESA DSPD will host an Exhibition during the CSocD56. The purpose and objective of each proposed exhibit should be linked to the priority theme of the Commission: “Strategies for poverty eradication to achieve sustainable development for all”. These could include publications, photography, Arts and Crafts and audio-visual materials. The exhibition is open to Governments, UN agencies, NGOs in Consultative Status with ECOSOC and the private sector.
- This year, the Civil Society Forum will take place on 2 February 2018 under the theme “Social Protection, Including Floors”. Please contact the NGO Committee on Social Development for more information about this Forum.
- UNDESA DSPD facilitates the participation of NGOs in the sessions of the CSocD. NGOs that are accredited to and in good standing with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) may designate representatives to attend the annual sessions of the CSocD. Learn more about the UN ECOSOC accreditation.
- Modalities of NGO participation and Registration. The deadline is 16 January 2018.
This year, we are using a new platform for managing NGO registration to meetings and events at United Nations Headquarters in New York. The platform is called Indico, and it will be replacing the registration functionality of the current system, CSO Net.
- Before you start registration, please view our quick guides on:
Quick Guide for Participants : http://bit.ly/indico-participants
Quick Guide for Conference Focal Points : http://bit.ly/indico-cfps
Getting Started with Conference Focal Points : http://bit.ly/indico-cfps-getting-started
FAQ : http://bit.ly/indico-faq
- Please note: After you have registered for CSocD56 via Indico, your organization’s conference focal point needs to approve your CSocD registration in Indico. Once your registration has been approved by your organization, you will receive a confirmation letter via email. You will need to print out and show your confirmation letter to obtain a UN grounds pass for CSocD.
- NGO Written Statements
- Opportunities for NGOs to address the Commission: The deadline is now CLOSED.