Wednesday, 3 February from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Panel Discussion in Commemoration of the 15th Anniversary of the World Summit for Social Development
The High-level panel discussion to commemorate the fifteenth anniversary of the World Summit for Social Development will focus on framing the way forward for the social development agenda in light of the mixed progress that has been made in achieving the 10 commitments of the Copenhagen Declaration on Social Development and new issues that have emerged.
The panel discussion will allow for an interchange of ideas among Members States, relevant United Nations agencies and civil society on strategies for how best to advance social development 15 years after the World Summit for Social Development. This interaction is intended to review advancement towards and renew commitments to achieving people-centred development. It is also intended to stimulate thinking on how to address the relationships between social development and emerging issues such as climate change and the economic crisis.
- Background Note: | English |
- Keynote Speaker and List of Panelists | English |
- Conference Room Paper: Social Development 15 Years after the World Summit for Social Development — Progress and challenges | English |
- Keynote Address delivered by Mr. Jimi O. Adesina, PhD, Professor of Sociology, Rhodes University, South Africa.
- H.E. Mr. Rudolf Hundstorfer, Minister of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection of Austria
- H.E. Mr. Enrique Deibe, Secretary of Employment in the Ministry of Labor, Employment and Social Security of Argentina
- Mr. CHUA Hoi Wai, Business Director of the Hong Kong Council of Social Service, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China
Thursday, 4 February from 10:00 am to 1 pm
Panel Discussion on “Social Integration and its relationship with Poverty Eradication and Full Employment and Decent Work for All”
The High-level panel discussion will address social integration and its linkages with the goals of eradicating poverty and promoting full employment and decent work for all. Poverty eradication, full employment and decent work and social integration are interrelated, and mutually reinforcing. Accordingly, the focus of this panel discussion will be on poverty eradication and the promotion of full employment and decent work as viewed through the lens of social integration.
The panel discussion will allow for an interchange of ideas among Members States, relevant United Nations agencies and civil society on strategies for social integration in the context of poverty eradication and promotion of full employment. This interaction is intended to stimulate thinking on how to incorporate social integration policies and principles into broader poverty eradication and employment policies.
- Keynote Address (in Spanish ) delivered by Dr. Beatriz Merino is the President of the Iberoamerican Federation of Ombudsman, and the National Ombudsman of Peru.
- H.E. Mr. J. Piet Hein Donner, Minister of Social Affairs and Employment of the Netherlands.
- Dr. Servacius B. Likwelile, Chief Executive Director of the Tanzania Social Action Fund (TASAF) in the Office of the President of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Professor Vojtech Tkác, Adviser to the Minister, Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family of Slovakia.