Report of the Secretary-General to the 73rd Session of the General Assembly
The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), through its Division for Inclusive Social Development (DISD), led the preparation of the report of the Secretary-General on sport for development and peace to the 73rd session of the General Assembly, as requested by General Assembly Resolution 71/60 on “Sport as a means to promote education, health, development and peace “.
As part of the preparation, Member States of the United Nations were invited to provide information on the following:
- Existing national policies and government-led/supported programmes on the promotion of sport and physical activity.
- Government-led/supported initiatives that use sport as an entry point for promoting or achieving established development targets, reduction or prevention of conflict or violence and/or leverage sport as a tool for post-conflict reconciliation or reintegration.
- Government-led/supported initiatives that leverage sport as a tool for social or economic development.
Responses from Member States showcased a wide range of activities, creative partnerships and a deepening appreciation for the role of sport as an enabler of sustainable development.
Input from Member States
Austria | Germany | Guatemala | Hungary | Mexico | Monaco | Palau | Philippines | Russia | Turkey | Ukraine
Further to this, United Nations organizations and offices were also invited to provide input to the report, and provided information on the following:
- Initiatives undertaken since January 2016, that use sport as an entry point for promoting or achieving established development targets reduction or prevention of conflict or violence and/or leverage sport as a tool for post-conflict reconciliation or reintegration.
- Initiatives undertaken since January 2016 that leverage sport as a tool for social or economic development.
Inputs from United Nations System
Twelve United Nations entities reported relevant initiatives:
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations
- International Labour Organization
- United Nations Children’s Fund
- United Nations Development Programme
- United Nations Economic, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- United Nations Office at Geneva
- United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- United Nations Volunteers
- World Bank Group
Download the UN SG Report on “Strengthening the global framework for leveraging sport for development and peace”
English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 汉语