The Division monitors national and global socio-economic trends, identifies emerging issues, and assesses their implications for social policy at the national and international levels. To this end, the Division:
- Promotes common norms and develops policies, programmes and cooperative actions to facilitate the implementation of the Internationally Agreed Development Goals, including the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Provides support and servicing to intergovernmental processes by facilitating agreement on resolutions, strategies and international standards and norms through the Commission for Social Development, the Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly and other intergovernmental forums, such as the Conference of State Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
- Promotes the rights of indigenous peoples by servicing the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII) and promoting its mandate and recommendations, supporting the work of the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council on Indigenous Issues, promoting coordination in the UN system and preparing and disseminating information on indigenous peoples’ issues;
- Undertakes global comparative studies on policy and programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation as well as on issues and social groups related to the work of the Division;
- Assists developing countries and countries with economies in transition, at their request, to strengthen their capacity to plan and manage their socio-economic development through advisory services and field projects; and
- Stresses the promotion of full, productive, appropriately and adequately remunerated and freely chosen employment as a central objective of economic and social policies.
The division provides the primary support and servicing to the:
- General Assembly (GA)
- Commission for Social Development (CSocD)
- United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII)
- Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (COSP)
- Open-Ended Working Group on Ageing (OEWG)
Capacity Development and Partnerships
We provide advisory services to Governments, at their request, and regional organizations aimed at developing capacities in areas within the purview of the sub-programme, at the national and regional levels, with special emphasis on the needs of the least developed countries, Africa and small island developing States.
Activities comprise the formulation, execution, monitoring and evaluation of specific technical projects. Assistance is also provided to Governments in devising multidisciplinary operational strategies that promote equitable social and economic development. We organize training workshops and seminars and conducts applied research and field studies, disseminated in both hard copy and electronic formats. Learn more about our Capacity Development and Partnerships.
The Division also produces the following flagship reports on social development issues.