61st session of the Commission on the Status of Women, 13-24 March 2017
The sixty-first session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW61) will take place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 13 to 24 March 2017. This year, the CSW61 will focus on “Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work”. The emerging issue will be “The empowerment of indigenous women”.
In preparation for the CSW61, UN Women convened an Expert Group Meeting on the priority theme: “Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work” at ILO Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, from 26 to 28 September 2016.
Our Activities during CSW61:
- Special Event on “Who Cares? The Nexus of Age, Gender, Decent Work & Care”
UNDESA Focal Point on Ageing, AARP and the UN Women for Peace Association will host a luncheon briefing and an evening reception marking the 10th anniversary of the AARP-UN annual Briefing Series. This year’s event, held during the 61st Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women, will examine the age, gender, and care dimensions of work.
- Panel Discussion on “The empowerment of indigenous women”
Indigenous women around the world will be participating in a Panel discussion entitled “Empowerment of Indigenous Women” in Conference Room 7, on Friday, 17 March 2017 from 6.20pm to 7.40pm. The event is organized by the International Indigenous Women’s Forum (FIMI), IFAD, UN Women and the Secretariat of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues/DSPD/DESA. Participants registered to attend the CSW61 are welcome to attend the side event.
- Networking Workshop: Advancing the Leadership of Women and Girls with Disabilities in Development and Society
Organized by SCRPD/DSPD/DESA, UN Women, Japan, 14 March, 10:00 AM-1:00 PM, Conference Room 2727 – UN Secretariat Building
- Neglect, Abuse and Violence of Older Women
- Video: Change the Way You Think About Age! Centenarians Answer the Right Questions…
- Indigenous Women and the UN system
- Cooperatives, Women, & Gender Equality
- Cooperatives can and do benefit women worldwide
- Women and girls with disabilities
- Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities adopts General Comment on Article 6: Women and Girls with Disabilities (adopted 26 August 2016)
- Factsheet on women and girls with disabilities
- Girls and Young Women (Issue Brief)
- Girls and young women (World Programme Action on Youth – WPAY)
- Priority theme:
Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work
- Review theme:
Challenges and achievements in the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals for women and girls (agreed conclusions of the fifty-eighth session)
- Emerging issue/Focus area:
The empowerment of indigenous women
Video message from H.E. Mr. Antonio de Aguiar Patriota (Brazil), Chair of the 61st session of the Commission on the Status of Women.
To learn more about CSW61, please visit: http://www.unwomen.org/en/csw/csw61-2017